Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Airline credit

kuphoff
Explorer C

Southwest extended credits for those who had to use by March-September of this year but anyone before or after those dates are out of luck. We had credits to use by Oct 17th, mind you we were advised during COVID not to travel unnecessarily so for all those months we couldn’t travel but Southwest won’t extend our credit without taking $100 from each ticket. How ridiculous is that? We were given 12 months to use this credit, couldn’t fly for 6 out of 12 months but we are just supposed to take the loss when if we would have had a credit from September we would have been gifted an extension without penalty. Mind you we also found all this out after being on hold for 45 minutes with southwest. The unwillingness to work with their customers is upsetting especially during the pandemic, had it been a regular year prior to 2020 it wouldn’t have been an issue. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Airline credit

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest gave every person, including you, the ability to extend trvel funds thru 9/7/22. There are numerous threads in this forum about that very topic. It seems that you did not hear about it.

The option was open for over three months but it expired on 9/7/20. All you had to do was buy a ticket with youtravel funds and then cancel that ticket by 9/7/20.

The best you can do now is appeal you case to customer relations.  Here's how to do so:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355

kuphoff
Explorer C

Customer relations was zero help when I talked to them after being on hold for 45 minutes, is appealing it any different than calling and talking to them. According to them their is no one else I can talk to. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As @dfwskier said, customers had quite a large amount of time to get travel funds extended.  Sorry you missed that opportunity.  The option to convert to a LUV voucher for the $100 fee that mentioned earlier appears to be your only remaining option.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I do think those with flights (or expiring travel funds) later in the year haven't really been officially addressed. Many may have initially thought travel would be more feasible now than it actually is, and they demonstrated good faith by holding on to their bookings/funds with the honest hope of actually using them before expiration. Unfortunately, now the ongoing pandemic, and local quarantines, combined with drastic schedule cuts that limit flight choices (especially non-stop) make travel challenging at best. Others, who read between the lines and used the unofficial book/cancel work-around have funds valid until September 7, 2022. The pandemic is far from over, and if Southwest really want's to get things back to normal I suggest they consider addressing their additionally affected customers. Customer goodwill is at a all-time low right now, but that doesn't have to be the case.