Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Alcohol on flights

StevenJ
Explorer C

Why is SWA the only airline not back to serving alcohol?  Why is it that you can hand me a bag with a water bottle in it, but not a beverage?  Are you going to tell me it's due to COVID sanitary precautions?  If so, why are the other airlines serving?  Are you more safe than them? If you tell me that it's because you are simply trying to save money and recover from economic losses, I might understand.  But so far, EVERY flight attendant has simply said "COVID."  When will you be back to serving your full beverage service?  

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Alcohol on flights

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

They've been doing more than water for a while now. Coke, Diet Coke, 7-Up, or water. Actually, this format seems very Southwest. Just wish they would have Coke Zero instead of Diet Coke.

bec102896
Aviator A

Since this is a customer to customer forum you would be better off sharing your feedback about the inflight offering with southwest directly using one of these contact methods Contact Customer Relations  however at this time I haven’t heard of any changes to bring back alcohol just the beverages mentioned above 

-Blake 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Serving alcohol requires payment which leads to additional contact between the crew and passengers.  I suspect there's no desire to increase contact points at this time.  The saving money comment makes absolutely zero sense since it's a money maker.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Serving alcohol requires payment which leads to additional contact between the crew and passengers.  I suspect there's no desire to increase contact points at this time.  The saving money comment makes absolutely zero sense since it's a money maker.

--TheMiddleSeat

Maybe customers could pay through the entertainment portal of course that is hit and miss when it actually works and with coupons that would require more contact. 

I'm guessing the end of the year or early next year for alcohol to return but of course I have no control over that just my guess 

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Currently it makes sense to minimize handing cc's and coupons back and forth with regard to alcohol, unless they just go ahead and make vaccination a requirement to fly. (it would not hurt my feelings or restrict my freedom in the least.)

Alcohol on flights

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@StevenJ You're asking a group of people who in no way can answer this question, we a forum discussion bloggers, not employees of SWA.  There are avenues to take that question up with customer service 

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/index.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-SERVICE

My question to you is, why aren't you like the many smart people who have just bought the beer at the terminal and flown feeling happy.  Surely you're not in that dire of need of another round while flying.  But I hope your contact with customer service goes somewhere, as my wife would like a beer on her flights as well, but she has also expressed she can wait if they aren't serving.  

lauryn
Explorer C

Hello guys,

limited to 5 liters of alcohol between 24%-70% ABV or 48 - 140 proof. If you purchased the alcohol overseas and have a connecting flight in the United States, the alcohol is allowed in your carry-on bag if;

The bottles are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lauryn wrote:

Hello guys,

limited to 5 liters of alcohol between 24%-70% ABV or 48 - 140 proof. If you purchased the alcohol overseas and have a connecting flight in the United States, the alcohol is allowed in your carry-on bag if;

The bottles are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer.

You are not allowed to open that alcohol, or any other alcohol that you brought onboard yourself.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

So you're suggesting flying out of the country,  just to grab some duty free bottles to fly home with and drink on the plane? 

It's much easier to just bring your own mini bottles.   No,  TSA does not care.   

But yes,  SWA DOES care if you open alcohol on the plane.   

They'd be unlikely to care if your fountain soda from Chick-fil-A is spiked,  however.   YMMV.