Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Anyone try to extend travel funds by moving flight?

Kellyn2476
Explorer C

I have travel funds expiring May 8th. I'm planning to fly May 23rd. Has anyone attempted to book a flight before their funds expire, then just move the flight to the actual date they want? It's so irritating they won't even offer a 30 day extension, especially during a time when traveling is so difficult. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Anyone try to extend travel funds by moving flight?

bec102896
Aviator A

When you go to change the flight to the date you want it will give you an error telling you that your funds would be expired. 

The best option is once your funds expire Contact Customer Relations and request for your funds to be extended as a LUV voucher this does come with a $100 fee per travel fund and is on a case by case basis so it's not a guarantee that they will offer this. If they do offer this exception the voucher would be good for 6 months. 

-Blake

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I think maybe you are referring to rescheduling a flight after booked for free due to system wide schedule changes and Max flight changes that allowed people to make a free change to a reservation?  With the Max actually returning to service and flights and passenger loads actually increasing now I don't believe Southwest has been offering these free booking windows lately.  At least I have not seen one mentioned in some time.

At this point there's no magic way to extend out a travel fund without paying the expired travel fund reinstatement fee.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

The last waiver I am aware of was 2-3 weeks a go when they revised March 11th- April 11th (or somewhere around that date range) back then that change the date and get your funds extended would have worked but no waivers currently. 

bec102896
Aviator A

Well looks like a new waiver just started. You could try and book a flight for April 24th and see if the waiver let's you extend to May 23rd. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Perfect timing! 

I hope @Kellyn2476 will let us know if they are able to reschedule to the desired date past the travel fund expiration.

--TheMiddleSeat