Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Autism

Rick8132
Explorer C

Hi I’m gathering info before i book a flight I have ocd and autism and can have a small panic attack that will lead me to crying if people touch certain things in my carry on bag is there a way i could get some accommodation I just wanna bring my own blanket in a bag by itself could I not have tsa touch the security blanket when going through the tsa border and maybe get help Getting to my flight because of the stress and nerves of a first time flyer thank u?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Autism

floridaguy
Aviator C

You can preboard on the Southwest jet, but going through TSA you will be exposed to people who will have absolutely no regard for the privacy of your personal belongings.  They will sift through them and do whatever they want.

I would suggest having a letter signed by your doctor which indicates your wishes, giving a copy of that letter to one of those nice TSA agents and hope for the best.  If you are mistreated, file a lawsuit against the individual who mistreated you and also against the TSA director in that region.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

TSA DOES NOT hand search the vast majority of carry on bags. Those that are searched normally contain liquids, firearms, suspicious electronics and things that look like knives or  bombs making materials

If the only thing in the bag is your blanket, then there is a 99.9% chance that no one will hand search your bag.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Rick8132, would a pretrip to the airport with a buddy be practical for you? Seeing the Checkin and TSA process in advance of standing in line may aleviate potential anxiety. I doubt an accommodation will be made for you that guarantees no one will touch your stuff because security is for the common good, but you do not get unless you ask.

Safe travels 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Rick8132 wrote:

Hi I’m gathering info before i book a flight I have ocd and autism and can have a small panic attack that will lead me to crying if people touch certain things in my carry on bag is there a way i could get some accommodation I just wanna bring my own blanket in a bag by itself could I not have tsa touch the security blanket when going through the tsa border and maybe get help Getting to my flight because of the stress and nerves of a first time flyer thank u?

Hello Rick8132!

If you're packing only your blanket in your carry-on, it should certainly clear TSA.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/blankets

However, in your case, I would have a doctor's note in your possession in a very rare case you get randomly picked for secondary inspection. Only in that case, I would present that to the TSA officer if you get a random picked for secondary. No need to present it if you don't get picked. Note that the final decision to inspect is ultimately at the TSA's discretion.

TSA will do random secondary searches which can happen (again, rare) when going through the detectors and their "random inspection" beep activates. I've hit that 'lottery' just one time out of my last twenty trips when returning from SMF to SAN via the PreCheck lane. They did a quick explosives test on my cell phone which only took about a minute to complete. They're usually pretty friendly about these searches and getting people who get random secondaries through screening quickly.

Hope this helps. Remember when you go through TSA, be ready to place your shoes, belt and all pocket items in the bin with your carry-on to help expedite and speed up your screening process. Also don't forget to empty any water bottles before going through (but keep the bottle so you can refill airside!). These will help too! 

20230516_064239-EDIT.png

Also consider getting PreCheck if you think you'll fly more often and you qualify for it (or even Global Entry if you think you'll ever go international, even across a land border). That will make both your TSA and US Customs screening experience much less anxious with a special faster line and expedited screening!

Enjoy your trip!

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Are you traveling alone? If not, could your companion take your blanket through security? You could go first, leave the area, then in the unlikely event that TSA examines the blanket you won't have to see it happen.