Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Avoid Southwest Hotel booking system

rogelio_gs
Explorer C

This just happened to me, here are the highlights:

-False Ad: They advertise free cancelation, but it is false (picture attached). I sent them the screenshot as requested, and they said I got a different offer (they make you feel like it is your fault)

-Terrible rules: I requested to change the dates for my booking, and because the price was higher, they denied it, even though I was willing to pay the difference, due they are a third party (and they want to warrantee the "same price," for the sake of what? me losing?"). It was hard.

-You lose or lose: those were my only two options after my request to change the dates was denied. They told me that if I proceed with the cancellation, they will charge me $25 and if the refund is denied, I could not do anything else, not even keep the reservation (it is incredible!)

-Rude customer service: Katherine in the Customer Service line hung up on me after requesting to talk with a manager or supervisor.

-No supervisor to help you: No matter how many times I requested to talk to a manager, it was impossible.

I hope they change because their airline service is excellent but their hotel booking service is the opposite.

IMG_7718.jpeg

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Avoid Southwest Hotel booking system

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@rogelio_gs wrote:

I hope they change because their airline service is excellent but their hotel booking service is the opposite.

Southwest Hotels is not part of or run by Southwest Airlines.  Southwest Hotels is managed by booking.com.  Any issues should be handled by booking.com

--TheMiddleSeat

rogelio_gs
Explorer C

Hello,

I find your answer rude. Two reasons:

- I am sure you know the only way to talk to somebody is to talk to booking.com, as I did, my review is based on that fact.

-Even though Southwest Hotels is not part of or run by Southwest Airlines, it belongs to the same company, and it is advertised on the Southwest airlines App; you earn the same points as with the airline.

Again, you are treating me as a customer that is dumb, that is rude, under the name "TheMidddleSeat."

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You're a customer, I'm a customer.  I was providing you with information since you still seem to have incorrect information about the situation.

booking.com has a partnership with Southwest, but their ownership is completely unrelated/unconnected.  If you want to get help with your issue you'll need to contact booking.com, Southwest Airlines has no control or ability to help with your complaints.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@rogelio_gs wrote:

-Even though Southwest Hotels is not part of or run by Southwest Airlines, it belongs to the same company,  

I'm confused. How could Southwest  Hotels "belong to the same company (SW airlines)

even though as you admit it  "is not part of or run by Southwest Airlines."

Southwest lets rent car companies and hotel companies( booking.com ) advertise (and that IS what  are doing)  on Southwest.com so that the customers can do everything travel related in one place instead of having to visit multiple websites to get cars and hotels. It's a convenience thing.

SW doesn't have any more responsibility when Hertz gives you a lemon of a car that strands you in the middle of nowhere than it does if booking.com isn't  doing right by you.

If booking.com is doing a bad job, complain about it on social media , yelp, etc. Write to it's CEO to complain. At least in my city, you can ask my local TV station to intervene on my  behalf - maybe in your city, too.

rogelio_gs
Explorer C

Southwest Hotels is a system/company/enterprise under "Southwest." It is a brand, that is why I said the same company because it is the same brand.

There is not such a thing called "Southwest Rental Cars." Your examples are not comparable.

What do you do when Bookings.com does not help you? What is the next level? Should not it be "Southwest Hotels"?

Your answers for everybody are pretty much, "Do not complain here, Southwest Hotels is not responsible."

As a customer, you are being irresponsible.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@rogelio_gs wrote:

What do you do when Bookings.com does not help you? What is the next level? Should not it be "Southwest Hotels"?

We're just going round and round in circles here.  In short, the answer to your question is yes, you should contact Southwest Hotels, also known as booking.com

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

In general, I've found its usually best to book directly with the hotel chain, as it eliminates many of these types of issues.

jksobonya
Aviator A

As one who books through Southwest Hotels quite regularly, allow me to respond to your various points: 

False Ad - It is not false. Just because it says "Free Cancellation - No Prepayment Needed" on the start page of a hotel, does not mean that every hotel room offers this. Once you click "See Availability" to see what rooms are available, some rooms are actually non-refundable, as shown below. If you choose the non-refundable rate, you will not be refunded. If you DO book a free cancellation offer and you wait until the very last minute, you will be charged as well. Hotels generally give you until a few days prior to your stay to cancel for free. Notice my screen capture says you must cancel by "May 10" - my reservation starts May 14. If you try cancelling on May 11-14, you are out of luck:

jksobonya_1-1651089675772.png

Terrible Rules - Not sure why you didn't just cancel and rebook with the dates you wanted, or go to your existing reservation and change the dates online? Considering no prepayment was even needed (presumably) for your reservation, any difference in price wouldn't even matter until you actually check in/out of the hotel and are charged at that time. 

You lose or lose - I have never heard of a $25 cancellation fee, but then again, I always cancel within the cancellation window and I do everything online. It's very possible they charged an extra fee because you were calling. Why didn't you make your changes online? Don't say you didn't know how. 

Customer service and needing to talk to "supervisors" should be a total non-issue had you done everything yourself online. 

--Jessica

Lthesquare
Explorer C

I know this is old, but I’m having issues with SW Hotels too, and this answer sounds a lot like blaming the consumer. While I agree everyone needs to read rules and understand policies, there are certain responsibilities of the provider too, and SW Hotels falls short. I’ve only used them once, but they have proven to not be very good at issue resolution. 

I will not be using them again, and anyone wondering why can either respond or read the review in about to post, that I’ll name “SW Hotels/ATL Debacle”.