Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bad Customer Service Practice

2blessed
Explorer C

I want to put this information awareness of what is happening to our military people. I am the grandmother of 4 grandchildren who visits me in the summer. My daughter, who is active-duty military for 16 years informed me that she was having problems booking their tickets to fly from DCI to Houston airport.  I told her to call Southwest 800 number for customer service to help us finalize these tickets.    The representative to whom we spoke with asked my daughter were the children AD dependents (now mind you WE DID NOT KNOW WHY SHE ASKED THAT QUESTION).   Unbeknownst to us, SHE changed our rates. we did not notice because it didn't change much.   So, the day of the flight the staff asked for military ID cards. my daughter shows her card, but the staff wanted each child to have a card. The children are 17, 14, 9 and 8.   When she told them they didn't have it, they told her they couldn't fly.  She panicked and paid them the $498.00 they asked for, so they could get on the flight. (That was the rate for purchasing the ticket to fly on that morning).     I told her when she gets home send a copy of everything, she needed to get that reversed.  She informed me they gave her a $150 Southwest voucher.      There is so much wrong with this whole thing. She desires to have her full money refunded.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Bad Customer Service Practice

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sounds like she purchased a military fare, which is a discounted Anytime fare.  The best feature of that fare is it is refundable.  The most discounted fare, the Wanna Get Away, is what is considered the standard fare and is non-refundable.  WGA is available to all and there are no further discounts on it.  Only your daughter and Southwest knows exactly what was said on the call, but I'm guessing your daughter asked for a military price and that's what she got.  Instead, she should have just bought the standard Wanna Get Away fare and not mentioned anything about military as there is no need to mention military.

The question about the dependents is the key indicator about the fare type that was purchased.  You even said you don't know why that was being asked so perhaps you should have asked why.  If you had you would have learned about the military fare that was being purchased and could have easily switched to WGA and avoided this entire situation.  When in doubt, ask questions.

--TheMiddleSeat

2blessed
Explorer C

You are doing the exact same thing that Southwest did.  They did not pay attention to what she nor I said. We were on a 3 way call for me to listen in to give the credit card payment.  Neither of I asked for a discount.  What is this world coming to that the member has to receive a discount without asking.  The kids have ID.  Are we forgetting the point.   Can't believe you think this is ok.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Southwest was just following their own policy, but the gate agent was only partially correct in wanting each child to show a card. The 8 and 9 year olds should not have had to show a card, but the 14 and 17 year old should have. 

Military fares

• United States military personnel on active duty (including reservists, National Guard members, and Coast Guard members with active orders, cadets/midshipmen attending the U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Military Academy [West Point], and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy) and their authorized dependents are eligible for Military fares.
  • Military dependents ages two through 11 years old must be accompanied by a military Customer or a military-dependent Customer at least 12 years of age.
  • Note: Customers must carry and present a valid United States Armed Forces identification at the time of check-in. A military-dependent Customer 12 years or older must carry and present a card that displays their status as an active-duty military dependent.

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/military-travel.html 

--Jessica

2blessed
Explorer C

I think you are missing the point. I get the guidelines but where are the forgiveness and compassion for our military families.  On a normal flight without being military,  would they have to have shown the cards? We were not aware of any of that process. The staff on the phone did not tell us your policy. How would we know?   It wasn't us who applied the military discount on the ticket.  We didn't want the discount.  My point is that the process is outdated.  The family needs to be aware of these practices.  And to make matters worse,  she found out they both had their cards.  I can't believe you think this practice is working on the military favor.