Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bad Experience

AngryCovidIssue
Explorer C

Why don’t you care about people effected by Corona?

My Grandmother died in November of 2019. Funeral planned for July of 2020. Bought our plane tickets in January of 2020. Covid hit, funeral was cancelled, because they weren’t allowing them. Tried to cancel our tickets, was told that we could have a credit. Credit was set to expire in December. We booked a new trip to go to New Orleans in December.
You offered us a refund in November. We accepted. You gave us back the $3 difference between the first tickets and the new tickets.

Then we were told you would extend our credit.

You cut our credit in half, and now we have half the money and only this month to use it.

I’m investigating using the money to fly somewhere and then fly home (just to use the tickets, because that’s how mad I am)

At this point, I will NEVER fly southwest again, and I will torch the earth to make sure no one I know, am related to, do business with, or speak to does either.

I didn’t get to be there for my grandmothers funeral, I was offered a refund and got $3. Now that I’m vaccinated, I have a month to use half of the credit, where I should have been given a refund.

No one has said anything to me that felt like they cared, and no one has offered me anything reasonable.

I’m literally about to book a flight to go from one airport to another and back, just for the satisfaction of spending your credit rather than getting nothing.

We spent $711.92
That we couldn’t afford at the time, but my Grandmother had died.

We now only have a credit of $358.96 to spend by the end of this month

During Corona, I was laid off from my Job, we were forced to move out of our apartment, this has been very hard on us. Being jerked around by a Multi Billion Dollar Airline hasn’t helped.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bad Experience

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@AngryCovidIssue wrote: . Tried to cancel our tickets, was told that we could have a credit. Credit was set to expire in December. We booked a new trip to go to New Orleans in December.

First of all please delete the confirmation numbers from your original post. With them a nefarious person could try to steal the funds from you.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother and the fact you were not able to be there for her.

You said you only had half the travel funds available for use. I highlighted one word in your original post the word OUR. That seems to indicate that two  of you were going to travel. If it was on one reservation, then each of the travelers has their cost of the canceled ticket reserved as travel funds. You have half, and the other traveler has half.

When travel funds are issued, they are issued in the names/accounts of each of the travelers on the ticket. They are not issued to the person who actually bought the ticket.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@AngryCovidIssue I am so sorry to hear that you lost your grandmother, and we extend our heartfelt condolences to you and your family. We sincerely regret letting you down with your entire experience. Please know I have removed your confirmation numbers from your post for your privacy and per our Community User Guidelines .

As a Customer to Customer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations for assistance if you have not already. 

Nicole
Community Manager

jksobonya
Aviator A

@AngryCovidIssue wrote:

No one has said anything to me that felt like they cared, and no one has offered me anything reasonable.

I'm sorry about your experience, but several things are not adding up here.

If you purchased tickets in January 2020 for a July 2020 trip, and you cancelled the trip I assume sometime between March 2020 and July 2020, your travel funds would have had an expiration of September 2022. For a period of time in 2020 (from March - September) Southwest extended travel fund expiration all the way out to 2022 if you cancelled your flight within that time period. 

Despite that, it sounds like you rebooked using your credit for a December 2020 flight which, if I'm not mistaken, resets the 2022 expiration and goes back to the 1 year expiration.

I don't know what "cut our credit in half" means, and I'm not sure how your funds got extended as you claim, unless your travel funds expired and were reissued as a voucher good for 6 months, and they would have charged $100 per travel fund to do this. 

Still, I can't determine how / when your funds ever expired. If you used your September 2022 travel funds to rebook for the December flight, let's say you did this in May 2020, and you cancelled after September 2020, wouldn't the funds expire in May 2021 (essentially this month)? 

It's not adding up for me ... 

--Jessica