Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage check-in to final destination not allowed due to separate booking numbers

salesh
Explorer C

I flew New Orleans to Atlanta to IAD yesterday, on 2 different bookings but both SW.

In New Orleans, I was not allowed to checkin my baggage up to IAD by the agent, due to separate booking for ATL - IAD.

I was told to go to ATL baggage claim counter, re-checkin bag, go through security and board IAD flight, even though there was only 1 hour gap between flights. If I dont pick bag in ATL, I was told by SW agent that will Fedex the bag to my home in Virginia at my cost!

All just because I had 2 different Record Locator bookings!!

I need response from SW before I make this complaint public on all forums...Booking# KKWBTU from MSY-ATL and conf# QLATAT from ATl-IAD on 2/17/2020

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Baggage check-in to final destination not allowed due to separate booking numbers

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry to hear that the agent at MSY was unable to check your bags all the way to IAD. Just checking did you visit the full service check in counter? If not then that may explain why your bag would only be checked to ATL. I know not all agents know how to check the bag all the way since there is an override button they have to hit and if they don’t know what key to hit they won’t be able to do it. 

Being that this is a public forum (primarily a customer to Customer forum) recommend editing your post to remove your confirmation numbers for your Reservations’s security. 

If you would like to share your experience with southwest directly i would reach out to Southwest through one of the contact methods here: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

-Blake 

Re: Baggage check-in to final destination not allowed due to separate booking numbers

cameronlaufer
Explorer B

Just curious, what is the “full service check in counter” different from where you drop off your bags after tagging? Thanks 

bec102896
Aviator A

The self tagging and drop off is different from the full service counter. The full service counter is usually right next to the self service machines. There should be a sign that says full service that’s where they usually have the ability to override the reservation to check the bag all the way to your final destination.

-Blake  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Did you politely ask to speak with a supervisor? I suspect a lack of training versus policy not allowing it. This is the first instance I can think of that someone reported being unable to check bags through to the final destination. 

--TheMiddleSeat