Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage for connecting flight

Shay1977
Explorer C

Hi,

I will be flying from HOU to LAX with my carry-on as checked in luggage because it does not meet size requirements, but I will be taking another flight in LAX to HNL on Hawaiian airlines and I want to actually carry my luggage on that flight to avoid paying fees. How can I obtain my luggage once I am in LAX and avoid missing my next flight?

Thanks,

Shay

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Baggage for connecting flight

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @Shay1977,

That's a tricky one. You'll have to go to baggage claim to retrieve your luggage and then go back through security to catch your Hawaiin Flight. Hopefully,  you have a significant amount of time between the two flights. You could also look at changing your Southwest flight to an earlier depature, or changing your Hawaiin flight to a later departure. 

Last but not least, you could repack in a smaller bag, or consider shipping your luggage to Hawaii. 

Shay1977
Explorer C

Ok so I guess I'll have to pay the fees..will you transfer my luggage to Hawaiian?? Sorry I don't fly at all!

Thanks, 

Shay

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@Shay1977,

Since the reservations were booked as individual reservations on two separate airlines, we will not be able to transfer your bag to Hawaiian. You'll need to check the bag with Hawaiian after you've completed your travel segment with us.