Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage for connecting flight

mrsmcivor
Explorer C

My family and I are traveling to HI via a connection in CA. The flights were selected through a single booking through Southwest.com. We only have 1 hour between flights and the booking indicated a plane change. Will our checked bags be automatically transferred to the second plane or do we have to collect our bags and check in for the second leg? Please advise (and THANK YOU!). 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Baggage for connecting flight

bec102896
Aviator A

@mrsmcivor 

If your flight was booked as a scheduled connection your bags will be transferred. When I say scheduled connection I mean if you search say AUS HNL and it gives you a route such as AUS (connect OAK) then on to HNL your bag will transfer. If you booked each leg seperatly then you would have to check you bags again in OAK.

Hope this helps!

Blake

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Even if you booked the two legs as separate reservations you can request the bags be checked through to your final destination while you are dropping off bags. You would need to do this at the counter, not via a kiosk. The only time you should have to retrieve your bags mid-trip is if you have a layover when returning to the United States from an international location. 

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Even if you booked the two legs as separate reservations you can request the bags be checked through to your final destination while you are dropping off bags. You would need to do this at the counter, not via a kiosk. The only time you should have to retrieve your bags mid-trip is if you have a layover when returning to the United States from an international location. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Of course there is no gurantee they will check it all the way if each leg is booked seperatly. I'm guessing that would all depend on the person at the counter.