Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bags never made it for my cruise

Holagato21
Explorer C

Here we are in San Juan, Puerto Rico about to board a 7 day cruise only to find out our bags never left our hometown. We were one of the first to arrive and check in for our flight, but that didn't help. All we were offered was $700 per person to go out and buy everything we needed for an entire week. We're talking clothes, underwear, bras, shoes, swimsuits, makeup, toiletries, hats, even luggage. We were unable to attend formal nights because we couldn't afford to buy more formal wear. My mom had to go without her 5 medicines for an entire week because her physician wasn't licensed in Puerto Rico. I didn't have my ankle brace for my surgically repaired ankle. Or my support for my surgically repaired elbow. We ended up spending around $2000 together just to get the things we needed to live for a week. That didn't include our hair straightener/curling iron or the majority of our makeup. I am just outraged. We lost an entire day of our vacation trying to shop/pack again for a trip we had already packed and prepared for. I thought Southwest was all about customer service? My mom has the credit card and we have always tried to book Southwest whenever possible. This agent is refusing to even allow us to speak to her supervisor. What do I do?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Bags never made it for my cruise

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Holagato21 wrote:

Here we are in San Juan, Puerto Rico about to board a 7 day cruise only to find out our bags never left our hometown. We were one of the first to arrive and check in for our flight, but that didn't help. All we were offered was $700 per person to go out and buy everything we needed for an entire week. We're talking clothes, underwear, bras, shoes, swimsuits, makeup, toiletries, hats, even luggage. We were unable to attend formal nights because we couldn't afford to buy more formal wear. My mom had to go without her 5 medicines for an entire week because her physician wasn't licensed in Puerto Rico. I didn't have my ankle brace for my surgically repaired ankle. Or my support for my surgically repaired elbow. We ended up spending around $2000 together just to get the things we needed to live for a week. That didn't include our hair straightener/curling iron or the majority of our makeup. I am just outraged. We lost an entire day of our vacation trying to shop/pack again for a trip we had already packed and prepared for. I thought Southwest was all about customer service? My mom has the credit card and we have always tried to book Southwest whenever possible. This agent is refusing to even allow us to speak to her supervisor. What do I do?

To answer your last question first, you can call customer relations (Monday thru Friday normal business hours) or twitter before then

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

Unfortunately you are learning a lesson most travelers understand: NEVER check items

that you absolutely must have. Meds,  braces, computers etc ALWAYS go on board with you.

You are now learning why.

Customer relations might be willing to provide you with vouchers (good for future travel on SW) as compensation for your pain.

As an aside, $700/person from the airline sounds like a pretty generous offer. The airline tries to give you enough to get by, but not buy a complete wardrobe as presumably you will be reunited with your luggage at some point.

Hope the rest of your trip is better than the start has been.

Re: Bags never made it for my cruise

SWDigits
Aviator A

The Southwest Contract of Carriage is available online here, see page 29 of the .pdf:

https://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs/corporate-commitments/contract-of-carriage.pdf

Customer | Home airport DCA