Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bedbugs

franzblau
Explorer C

I travel roundtrip every week between New Orleans and Chicago and recently have what is probably a bedbug infestation in my home. Since I don't stay in hotels and don't check bags I wondered if the overhead baggage storage might be a place to pick up bugs. Has anyone else had reason to suspect this as a source of bedbugs? In any case, are there known preventive measures related to air travel to prevent this? Do the airlines themselves routinely do any type of treatment/spraying of overhead bins?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Bedbugs

AshleyMainz
Employee
Employee

Hi @franzblau

Welcome to the Southwest Airlines Community! I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing at home, but you will be pleased to hear that we do a deep cleaning/sanitizing of our aircraft interior regularly. In addition, any aircraft that that needs special attention will be treated immediately by an exterminator. 

Ashley
Community Manager
Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Bedbugs

PhillipSmith
Explorer C

Hello, As you said that you were on a round-trip on between New Orleans and Chicago, might be these bed bugs came from your travel suitcase because these bugs can be on the plane going across the seas, which means everyone around your luggage can be infected, and these bugs can spread the infestation to many places at once, just from picking one up then getting on a plane. If you have bed bugs in your home, then it is best you get rid of these insects because if these bed bugs bite any family member of yours then these bites will leave red rashes to your body. postimageSo, the most effective tools to get rid of with these bedbugs are to clean your travel suitcase, clean your clothes and your home. But if still it doesn't work, then it is best that you hire an exterminator bed bugs expert where the experts will use chemical spray and help you to eliminate all bed bugs permanently.