Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Best car seat for Southwest Airlines?

Cjoberhaus
Explorer C

Can anyone recommend th best car seat tor a southwest plane? Has anyone had any experience with car seats not fitting? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Best car seat for Southwest Airlines?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Does @DancingDavidE have any experience with this he can share?

My understanding is they all will work, but I imagine some of the wider models could make for a tight squeeze in the other two seats in the aisle.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Does @DancingDavidE have any experience with this he can share?

My understanding is they all will work, but I imagine some of the wider models could make for a tight squeeze in the other two seats in the aisle.

--TheMiddleSeat

We only used the car seat one time, when we had the model that clicks into the stroller - so we had it anyway. That one fit fine in the window seat.  We didn't every try it with the larger car seats, at that point we just had our daughter in our lap, and then went to the CARES harness.

You can only install a car seat so that no other passengers are obstructed - so if the flight is full, that means a window seat. If there are many empties, you could put it in the middle and leave the window seat open.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

There is a fair amount of info regarding car seats on board here. There is a link to determine measurements. 

How old is the child? Our little girl always flew as a lap child before she was two. Now that she is two and has to have her own seat, we will be using a CARES Harness. You can buy them on Amazon and at other retailers!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Cjoberhaus
Explorer C

She is ten months now and will most likely continue to be a lap child until 2, but as we are transitiong her from the infanct car seat into a convertible one now I figured since we fly so much to be sure we buy one that can also be compatible when we fly. 

I have heard someone mention the CARES Harness before too.. I will look more into that as well. 

Thank you!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Cjoberhaus wrote:

She is ten months now and will most likely continue to be a lap child until 2, but as we are transitiong her from the infanct car seat into a convertible one now I figured since we fly so much to be sure we buy one that can also be compatible when we fly. 

I have heard someone mention the CARES Harness before too.. I will look more into that as well. 

Thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/Child-Airplane-Travel-Harness-Restraint/dp/B0012E4FV8

They are also at Bed Bath and Beyond if you collect their frequent 20% off coupons. They can ship to your preferred store if not in stock.

If you search for CARES on this forum you can see a post with the harness in action.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elocinmmk
Explorer C

We have a Diono Rainier - we bought it due to the fact that it was approved for flying, and it's a narrow convertible seat that folds for carrying. Best purchase I could've made, especially since we are starting to fly more.