Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bicycle Travel Case limit of 80 inches

Mikeee
Explorer C

I have booked a trip to Maui with the family and was planning on riding by bicycle while there.  I have tried to get an answer why Southwest Airlines has such a strict 80" limit while all other airlines have an oversized limit for bikes at 116"or more, to accommodate hard sided bicycle cases to protect them and the other baggage.  Others in my riding group have since made reservations with both Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines to accommodate their bicycles.  The customer service team at Southwest Airlines have been very nice but unable to help other than follow the company baggage policies.  I have tried to call, email. and even sent couple letters to try and get an answer to why Southwest doesn't want to accommodate Bicycle cases.   Headquarters appears to be on lock down while trying to deal with all the turmoil from Covid-19 as I have yet to get an answer.   

We have other trips being planned to destinations where Southwest Airlines flies but will be using the other airlines until our bicycles can be taken along.  Most with the airlines charge an oversize fee ranging from $35.00 to $100.00 but handle the bicycle cases.  I am looking into their Cargo Option but becoming a Known Traveler as an individual doesn't look plausable.

Anyone have an idea on whom to contact above the customer service with policy level decisions?  

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bicycle Travel Case limit of 80 inches

dfwskier
Aviator A

your best bet is to  request a policy change is to click on "contact us" below and pick a contact method.

Not every airline is good for everyone all the time. Your best bet in this case might be to fly another airline.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Keep at home, turbulence may harm bike. 

Mikeee
Explorer C

I have  tried most all the contact us ways to try and get through to a policy maker but have had no luck.  All the contact us methods just put you through to customer service.  As still waiting to hear back from letters sent into headquarters.

And yes we are using other airlines as they accept the bicycles along on trips.