Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bicycle as Oversize Baggage (but when the bicycle box exceeds 80 inches for total dimensions)

grogers64
Explorer C

Has anyone been able to ship a bicycle as oversize baggage?  Any bicycle box that would be large enough for an adult bicycle is going to exceed the 80 inches of total dimension which appears to be the maximum now for even an oversize package for bicycle shipment.  All standard bicycle boxes for adult bicycles are much larger than 80 inches.  Only folding bicycles and circus unicycles could fit in a box less than 80 inches.  Any suggestions on how to combat this problem would be appreciated.  Any examples of what is happening now at the check-in counter when one has a bicycle box would be very helpful.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Bicycle as Oversize Baggage (but when the bicycle box exceeds 80 inches for total dimensions)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You may want to reach out to Southwest via a private message on Facebook or Twitter to see if you can get an official answer.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Bicycle as Oversize Baggage (but when the bicycle box exceeds 80 inches for total dimensions)

grogers64
Explorer C

I don't have access to Facebook or Twitter.  The Southwest website is the thing that I go to online and the policy is worded quite poorly.

I've called Southwest Customer Service numerous times to get clarification and get different answers, unclear answers, no answers, and also changing answers once I tell them to look at what is written in the oversize baggage regulations, etc. etc., etc.  A clear Yes or No would be better.  I haven't received that.  Standard adult bicycles cannot be placed in a box that is 80 inches in total dimensions or less.  It is impossible.  If larger boxes cannot be used, it would be best to state that bicycles are not allowed.  It is the same as if Southwest said you could bring an elephant on board, that you have to pay an oversize fee if the elephant weighs more than 50 pounds, and then in the oversize fee regulations stating that elephants that weigh more than 100 pounds can't be brought on at all.  99.99999%  of the elephant population weigh more than 100 pounds.  It would be much simpler to state that elephants can't be brought on the plane.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you called the standard number you talked to the wrong people. If you insist on using the phone instead of the faster social media option Contact Customer Relations

--TheMiddleSeat

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

@grogers64 - have to admit, I actually LOL'd at the elephant analogy.

Check out this thread: Bicycle bag policy - Dimension limitations where @worstbikepolicy (harsh username, but fair) outlined his experience for @jcanon81 

NOTE: I am an Employee and I'm a big fan of bicycles myself. Southwest's policy is weird and I will one day make it a personal mission to address this, but for now, I'm just another cyclist on a forum!

keasbey
Adventurer C

Southwest has no problem telling you that you can fly with anything then denying you the right to flight with such items at the checkbag counter. 

How do I know this ? I called southwest and asked what the max size was for flying a bike with them. They said I could bring anything as long as it fits In a bike box. When I got to the counter they said my bike was too big and I couldn't fly with it. Then they said I could. Then they said I couldn't. I told them I didn't have time and to figure it out. Left my bike all boxed up at the counter. 20 minutes later they started calling my name through the intercom on the airport. 

Would recommend paying separate and leaving as few obligations with southwest as possible. Theyre only good for missing their own flight times. Not telling you what you can't and can't bring as luggahe

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

I'm sincerely sorry to know we've fallen short of your expectations on more than one occasion, @keasbey. While we strive for topnotch Customer Service, we know we don't always get it right, and we apologize for letting you down. Whenever a Customer has an issue with their travel experience, we are happy to review the situation and follow-up. As the Community is a Customer to Customer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here. For concerns regarding specific travel experiences, I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations for assistance. Thank you.

Nicole
Community Manager

keasbey
Adventurer C

Thanks for your third cookie cutter message. It really means a lot.

Sincerely, keasbey