Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Bicycle bag policy - Dimension limitations

worstbikepolicy
Explorer A

jcanon81, I just got off the phone with a customer service representative and I got a very different response. She pointed out that the oversize charge is for bikes that are in boxes over 62 inches OR 100 pounds while the chdck baggage limit is for bikes in boxes over 80 inches AND 100 pounds. So as long as it doesn't go over the 100 pound limit,( which is virtually impossible), then it should be fine. It's a bit worrying that you got a different response, but her explanation did make sense and it can be argued that the oversize requirement says OR while the checked baggage requirement says AND.

worstbikepolicy
Explorer A

But then again, the first sentence says:

Bicycles (defined as nonmotorizedand having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hard-sided case from 51 to 100 pounds in weight or 62 to 80 inches in total dimensions will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. 

This suggests that 80 inches is out of the checked bag limit. Well, back to square one. It's amazing how the customer service agents themselves don't understand their own baggage policies. Well my flight is tomorrow and a standard bike box is above 80 inches, even with wheels and handlebars taken off, so I am going to chance it and see what happens. It's impossibe to safely package a standard adult bike within those dimensions. If they give me trouble, then I'm just going to tell them that their customer service agent told me differently and see what happens.

Also, I did not mean to mark this as solved. I'm still new here and idk how to remove it.

jcanon81
Explorer B

Awesome. The way she explained it to you is what I was trying to argue with the person I spoke with. That’s very helpful, thanks you. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@worstbikepolicy wrote:

jcanon81, I just got off the phone with a customer service representative and I got a very different response. She pointed out that the oversize charge is for bikes that are in boxes over 62 inches OR 100 pounds while the chdck baggage limit is for bikes in boxes over 80 inches AND 100 pounds. So as long as it doesn't go over the 100 pound limit,( which is virtually impossible), then it should be fine. It's a bit worrying that you got a different response, but her explanation did make sense and it can be argued that the oversize requirement says OR while the checked baggage requirement says AND.

That IS NOT going to fly (no pun intended).

The rule says 

1) Not over 81 inches

1a) If over 62 inches pay a fee

2) If over 50 pounds,  pay a fee

2a) Not over 100 pounds

For the record NOTHING over 100 pounds can be checked

Don't believe me? Read it yourself. It's in the FAQ section. (bold is mine)

For Free Shipping:

• Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat), including Bike Friday and Co-Pilot, properly packed in a hard-sided bicycle box that fall within the dimensions and weight limits established for normal Checked Baggage, (i.e., 62  inches or less in overall dimensions and less than 50 pounds in weight). Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft-sided cases will be transported as conditionally accepted items."

The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.

• Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hard-sided case from 51 to 100 pounds in weight or 62 to 80 inches in total dimensions will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. Bicycles over 100 pounds in weight and 81 inches in total dimensions cannot be checked as baggage and can only be shipped as Cargo if the Customer is a known Shipper.
  •  

edit add: If I were you, I would believe the written stated policy. Sure you might get to the airport and be lucky enough to run into a benevolent employee. However you are just as likely to run in to a rule enforcer.

FYI, it is almost impossible to "get away" with an overweight bag since all bags are weighed. Most bags are not sized, but anything way out of spec would be noticed.

worstbikepolicy
Explorer A

@dfwskier wrote:

@worstbikepolicy wrote:

That IS NOT going to fly (no pun intended).

The rule says 

1) Not over 81 inches

1a) If over 62 inches pay a fee

2) If over 50 pounds,  pay a fee

2a) Not over 100 pounds

For the record NOTHING over 100 pounds can be checked

Don't believe me? Read it yourself. It's in the FAQ section. (bold is mine)

For Free Shipping:

• Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat), including Bike Friday and Co-Pilot, properly packed in a hard-sided bicycle box that fall within the dimensions and weight limits established for normal Checked Baggage, (i.e., 62  inches or less in overall dimensions and less than 50 pounds in weight). Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft-sided cases will be transported as conditionally accepted items."

The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.

• Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hard-sided case from 51 to 100 pounds in weight or 62 to 80 inches in total dimensions will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. Bicycles over 100 pounds in weight and 81 inches in total dimensions cannot be checked as baggage and can only be shipped as Cargo if the Customer is a known Shipper.
  •  

edit add: If I were you, I would believe the written stated policy. Sure you could get to the airport if you happen to run into a benevolent employee. However you are just as likely to run in to a rule enforcer.

FYI, it is almost impossible to "get away" with an overweight bag since all bags are weighed. Most bags are not sized, but anything way out of spec would be noticed.

Yes, I now see the bold part. I was initially just going off what the SWA customer service representative explained to me. After having read it again, I noticed that she was wrong. At this point, I have one day before my flight. I am going to try to get away with it. There's no reason to try not to since there's LITERALLY no way to get my bike into a box within 80 inches TLD. Also, I don't mind paying the $75 at all and I don't intend to try to get away with an overweight bag. If I get a rule enforcer, then I'll just leave my bike with my friend and have them ship it.

jcanon81
Explorer B

Well, I’ll be interested to know what happens in your case. I don’t have the luxury of being able to turn around and ship mine with my timeline. My trip is specifically to go riding. I’ve heard from people who have traveled on SWA as recently as May with a bike bag and no issues, but it’s unclear as to when this policy was changed or updated. I’ve found iterations of this policy from last year that do not include the 81” stipulation. The “OR” and “AND” pieces in the description are what cause the confusion. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

As I said earlier in the thread, people "get away with" bags that are slightly out of spec all the time. Employees normally don't drag out   tape measure.

My guess is that a bike case that is 84 inches would probably be OK. No one is going to notice a bag that is 1.333 inches too big in each of the three dimensions.

Weight is a totally different matter.

worstbikepolicy
Explorer A

@jcanon81 wrote:

Well, I’ll be interested to know what happens in your case. I don’t have the luxury of being able to turn around and ship mine with my timeline. My trip is specifically to go riding. I’ve heard from people who have traveled on SWA as recently as May with a bike bag and no issues, but it’s unclear as to when this policy was changed or updated. I’ve found iterations of this policy from last year that do not include the 81” stipulation. The “OR” and “AND” pieces in the description are what cause the confusion. 

I will definitely give you an update tomorrow. There's nothing we can do at this point but try. I have also seen people say they've gotten through with bike boxes about the arbitrary limitation without any issues.

Sorry, dfwskier. I am going to try it, no matter how much that hurts you. I think you'll be ok, though. But you can't say "I told you so" later because I know it's totally possible that I won't get through.

jcanon81
Explorer B

For what it’s worth @dfwskier, here was a response from you just 8 months ago regarding the same question. 

Re: Checked Bike Box
jcanon81_0-1626114433790.jpeg

jcanon81_1-1626114433790.png

dfwskier
TOP CONTRIBUTOR
Solution

Morning.

The only charge you'll pay is $75 - size limits don't apply to bikes. Here' what Southwest says:

"

Sports Equipment - Special Items

• Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hardsided case larger than 62 inches in total dimensions will be accepted as Checked Baggage. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. "

Jeffery22
Explorer B

I'll add that you can receive a free cardboard bike crate from your local business (since OP asked about cases). They're always being gotten rid of in stores. When you fly, TSA may rip your box apart and search your belongings. I've only had this happen once (they taped it back together after losing a pair of gloves of mine).

Shipbikes.com is a reputable and affordable option for bike shipping in the lower 48 United States. I've used it to send packages to friends' homes and back home. Some airlines in the United States impose a fixed fee of $150 for a bike, but others charge a lower fee (about $70, I believe). I've only ever paid $60-$80 to send a bike from coast to coast in the United States.