Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bike luggage policy

ryangtromero
Explorer C

Will Southwest ever change their policy regarding charging an oversized baggage fee for bikes?

Typically, Southwest is the best in the business for baggage, however, they are miles behind their competitors when it comes to adventure gear. Both Delta and Frontier charge normal baggage fees ($30) for bike bags under 50 lbs (the size requirement for normal luggage does not apply). I love Southwest, but I avoid using them to travel with my bike because they charge $75 for a bike each way. The only way to avoid this fee is to totally disassemble the bike, removing the fork and crank, in order to fit it in a smaller bag. Which isn’t really worth the time required to reassemble at your destination and after you return. 

Will Southwest ever change their bike policy to become current (and competitive) with their competitors? Being able to count my bike as one of my two free checked bags (<50lbs) would be out of this world and would make traveling with my bike so much more convenient on my favorite airline! 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Bike luggage policy

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, since this is a customer forum, you won't get an answer to your question here.

You can tell Southwest that you'd like to see that happen:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...