Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Birth certificate photocopy

drprzybyl
Explorer C

My daughter (26) is flying from CHS to BUF with a 1 and 4 year old. They both have purchased seats. Are photocopies of their birth certificates acceptable for boarding? We don't want to take the originals from the safe deposit box (she loses things a lot.)

I know TSA doesn't require age proof for them, but Southwest does.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Birth certificate photocopy

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Actually, Southwest does not require anything for kids under 18 that will sit in purchased seats.

It would for a lap child to prove that the child is under 2.

drprzybyl
Explorer C

From the "Baby on Board" page:

Baby On Board What special rules apply to infants and toddlers?

If you're traveling with an infant or small child, you should know that proper use of a Child Restraint System (CRS) enhances child safety on aircraft. For this reason, Southwest Airlines and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly recommend that infants and small children who weigh 40 pounds or less be secured in an appropriate CRS when traveling by air. See below for additional information.

• The Customer is still required to travel with proof of age. A government issued I.D. such as a birth certificate or passport can be used to validate the age of all infants under age two.

Which appears to conflicts with the first response. So is this really "solved"?

dfwskier
Aviator A

My response says the airline would require I’d for passengers under 2.

So what you cite does not conflict with what I said

drprzybyl
Explorer C

Still confusing. The citation from Baby on Board:  

• The Customer is still required to travel with proof of age. A government issued I.D. such as a birth certificate or passport can be used to validate the age of all infants under age two.
  •  
  • is referring to a child in a CRS. So it would seem that any child in a purchased seat with a CRS would need proof of age.  So referring to my original question: is a photocopy of a birth certificate acceptable?  (regardless of whether or not it's REQUIRED) She just wants to be prepared in case someone along the line asks her for proof of age for the 1 year old in the car seat.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@drprzybyl wrote:

The only reason you need ID to "validate the age of all infants under age two" is if they are a lap child.  Ticketed passengers of any age under 18 do not need ID.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@drprzybyl wrote:

•  
  • is referring to a child in a CRS. So it would seem that any child in a purchased seat with a CRS would need proof of age.  So referring to my original question: is a photocopy of a birth certificate acceptable?  (regardless of whether or not it's REQUIRED) She just wants to be prepared in case someone along the line asks her for proof of age for the 1 year old in the car seat.

Hmmm, who to believe, Baby on Board or the TSA???

Decisions, decisions...

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions/will-minors-need-have-state-id-fly-domesticall...

Whatcha think??

drprzybyl
Explorer C

Either one (TSA or Southwest) can prevent the child from flying, which is why clarification is vital. Why take chances? The original question was "is a photocopy of a birth certificate acceptable proof of age for a 1 year old with a purchased ticket?" - not "does a 1 year old with a purchased ticket NEED proof of age?"  TSA or SWA probably have the right to request proof at their discretion, why would you not have it with you?

And what if the adult has a different last name from the child (i.e. grandmother)?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest's Baby on Board section is somewhat confusingly written. If the infants have paid seats you won't need to show anything, but I suspect a photo copy of the birth certificate would suffice if you did. Immunization records are also acceptable for age verification (when traveling with a lap child).

The last names of the children and accompanying adult(s) do not need to match.