Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Boarded Plane, but then asked to leave...

buzzchris
Adventurer B

I have good friends who are major airline pilots. I had dinner recently with a Captain with a major airline. He has about 26 years experience.  Like my friends who are airline pilots, he will not allow anyone who even appears drunk to get on his aircraft. He tries to sort them out before he goes down the ramp to the aircraft. He also informs the gate agents of his requirement.   He has refused six people so far from getting on the aircraft due to their intoxication.  Also, he doesn't allow any person with inappropriate clothing.  That is his "call" and his airline has always backed him up.      I don't know if the was your case.   FYI. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

I assure you that he is working within parameters outlined by the airlines.  The rule of law may be under the discretion of the pilot once you are in the air, but they have to follow guidelines established by their respective airline.

buzzchris
Adventurer B

According to my friends who are airline pilots, and the Captain that I recently had dinner with, once a passenger steps foot on the aircraft, when boarding, the Captain has a great deal of authority who boards his/her aircraft,..and who can be "thrown" off. Even the FA's have some say so. 

Jweeds125
Explorer C

Thanks for the response, but then I would ask how does the pilot determine this? Police are trained to identify people who are intoxicated. He is basing his analysis on his own feelings/opinion without knowing anything of the situation. What if he knew my story?  Maybe I was not walking straight because I had sea legs, maybe I appeared drunk to him because I just woke up. I mean I was denied my booked flight based on no set parameters by the airline.  If pilots don't want you to board their planes if you have been drinking, the airports should not be selling alcohol.  They also should not sell alcohol on the flight.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jweeds125 wrote:

You may not like it, but basically the feds have anointed pilots to be "gods " when it comes to what goes on in "their" planes

Pilots can pretty much dictate anything they want to dictate - in the name of   safe operation of  aircraft.

buzzchris
Adventurer B

I had a visit with my friend again, a Captain.  How does he determine if a passenger is drunk or not,...he is not trained to identify a drunk person?  Per my friend the Captain, he goes by watching the person or makes a quick determination,..or he is notified by security.  He just denied another "drunk" a couple of days ago.   After 26 years or so as a commercial pilot, he hasn't been "called on the carpet" yet by his bosses. A couple of other friends of mine who are SW pilots, (I use to fly with them in the Air Force),. they have done the same thing,...no repercussions.  I also know a couple of FAs and, according to them, FAs hate to deal with drunk passengers,...and there are plenty.