Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Book an Extra Seat

bbland
Adventurer C

Since Southwest won't let me book an extra seat for myself to guarantee an empty middle, I will now book 8 seats per flight and cancel 7 ten minutes before departure.  Hmmm, maybe rethink this policy!!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Book an Extra Seat

dfwskier
Aviator A

You sure are going to build up lots of travel funds for different people since you can't book 8 seats for yourself.

Oh, I think you can now book up to 10 per flight.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

You sure are going to build up lots of travel funds for different people since you can't book 8 seats for yourself.

Oh, I think you can now book up to 10 per flight.

I think I know how to do this but I'm not going to say...1) it may or may not accomplish what you think it would, and 2) I think your booking and RR status would be jeopardized unless you were logging in as the other people to do this.

I agree that the open middle seats were important to me as well, but your choice here seems to be flying somewhere else instead of this particular scheme.

Maybe just try and shift your times to some flights that aren't fully booked? This will be my own approach.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Book an Extra Seat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

More than once I've double booked a flight but the computer catches it.  To my benefit it sure was thankful.  But I don't think that may help you.  So now there are 10 extra empty seats, but if you're near the front of the plane where the majority of people like to sit to get off, there still is that chance "I'm going to take the middle seat."  so that I can get off the plane and on my way.  Which now means you just benefitted 11 other people and not yourself.  

jksobonya
Aviator A

I don't think you can book more than one seat for yourself (although you can book an extra seat if you are a Customer of Size), so good luck with booking that many seats 😉 

Flight capacity is still down overall, so you shouldn't have too many problems with a completely full plane, and it's very likely that all rows will not be full for some time.

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

I don't think you can book more than one seat for yourself (although you can book an extra seat if you are a Customer of Size), so good luck with booking that many seats 😉 

That's called double booking and the airline's computer system will catch it and zero out one of the flights. Which one? I dunno. Flights on different days are ok. Flights on the same day are not.

You might be able to get away with first flight in the am and last   in the pm as it might  be possible to return from the first flight in order to catch the second -- don't know for sure about that though

atekay1
Explorer C

I saw (and have experienced) that SW cancels the seat of a higher value. In my case within a few days they cancelled the seat I had paid for (and left the companion pass). One interesting thing was they refunded me in the method I had paid (Credit card for part, Vouchers for part). This is likely a better way to swap from a paid seat to a companion pass since you get $ back. Anyone else experience something similar?

bec102896
Aviator A

Starting in December if your flight will have occupied middle seats southwest will contact you 2-3 days before departure and offer you the ability to move to a less full flight if one exists.

-Blake