Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bring alcohol on board

Bethw2112
Explorer C
Can we bring and consume our own alcohol bottles, as long as they meet TSA standards, in our carry on luggage? I thought it was OK and have done it several times only to be schooled today. What gives, OK or not OK?
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bring alcohol on board

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Bring, yes. Consume, no.

FAA regulations prevent passengers from consuming any alcohol that is not served to them by a flight attendant.

pvanbell
Explorer C

No Problem. Hand your liquer bottle to your Flight Attendant and have them serve it to you. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@pvanbell wrote:

No Problem. Hand your liquer bottle to your Flight Attendant and have them serve it to you. 

I'm not sure if you are joking or not.

I think this does meet the letter of the law, of course I'm not aware of any instructions/training that the FA have in this regard. I've never seen this before.

I've seen people who were aware that you weren't supposed to consume your own mini-bottles and as a result were discreet and maintained good behavior and "got away with it" although I won't encourage that - the prices from Southwest aren't that bad in the scheme of things, and often the FA never comes back, plus I have more coupons than I can use, so my net cost of a beverage across all time is probably about $0.25/beverage on average.

No reason to risk getting put on a naughty list.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.