Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Bring alcohol on board

New Arrival
Can we bring and consume our own alcohol bottles, as long as they meet TSA standards, in our carry on luggage? I thought it was OK and have done it several times only to be schooled today. What gives, OK or not OK?
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Bring alcohol on board

Top Contributor
Solution

Bring, yes. Consume, no.

FAA regulations prevent passengers from consuming any alcohol that is not served to them by a flight attendant.

Highlighted

New Arrival

No Problem. Hand your liquer bottle to your Flight Attendant and have them serve it to you. 

Top Contributor

@pvanbell wrote:

No Problem. Hand your liquer bottle to your Flight Attendant and have them serve it to you. 

I'm not sure if you are joking or not.

I think this does meet the letter of the law, of course I'm not aware of any instructions/training that the FA have in this regard. I've never seen this before.

I've seen people who were aware that you weren't supposed to consume your own mini-bottles and as a result were discreet and maintained good behavior and "got away with it" although I won't encourage that - the prices from Southwest aren't that bad in the scheme of things, and often the FA never comes back, plus I have more coupons than I can use, so my net cost of a beverage across all time is probably about $0.25/beverage on average.

No reason to risk getting put on a naughty list.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.