Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bringing whole milk for a toddler

peggywharton
Explorer C

I am traveling next week on a 4 hour roundtrip flight with a 15 month old.  I am thinking she will need at least 1 bottle of whole milk each way.  I know that one can bring breast milk through TSA, but what about whole milk in a bottle?  And what about bringing it in an aseptic package to avoid cooling it?   I know that I might be able to buy a small carton of whole milk post TSA check-in, but I don't want to be running around to restaurants trying to find this, or worse, not finding it at all.  I can't be the only one with this issue.  Help!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Bringing whole milk for a toddler

dfwskier
Aviator A

I suspect that whole milk is subject to the TSA rules on liquids in general: they are limited to no more than 3 ounces per bottle as carry ons.

Southwest airlines delays return of its Boeing 737 MAX jets to February 8

lege2131
Explorer C

Looks like Southwest airlines is discounting Boeing's hoped for a return of the MAX during fourth quarter 2019.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@peggywharton here is the TSA page for "Traveling with Children", it includes a section titled, "Screening Formula, Breast Milk and Juice":

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures/traveling-children

Customer | Home airport DCA

lege2131
Explorer C

Looks like Southwest is discounting Boeing's hoped for a return of the MAX during fourth quarter 2019.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lege2131 wrote:

Looks like Southwest is discounting Boeing's hoped for a return of the MAX during fourth quarter 2019.

Please start a new thread next time.

Anyway - a lot easier to add the birds back in discretionally than risk a change to the schedule last minute, better to let people be acommodated earlier. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@peggywharton wrote:

I am traveling next week on a 4 hour roundtrip flight with a 15 month old.  I am thinking she will need at least 1 bottle of whole milk each way.  I know that one can bring breast milk through TSA, but what about whole milk in a bottle?  And what about bringing it in an aseptic package to avoid cooling it?   I know that I might be able to buy a small carton of whole milk post TSA check-in, but I don't want to be running around to restaurants trying to find this, or worse, not finding it at all.  I can't be the only one with this issue.  Help!

I know this was solved already with the link to the policy. I'd like to elaborate that we did bring whole milk, formula, and breast milk through security and it required some additional screening for my wife but as long as you allow a little extra time it wasn't a big deal. We found it difficult to purchase whole milk at most terminals which seem to sell a lot more low-fat milk. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.