Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Business Class seating during Covid-19

sross222
Explorer C

I understand that Southwest is only selling 67% of seats this summer so that middle seats in economy will be open. But what about business class seats?  Will I have a stranger sitting next to me?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Business Class seating during Covid-19

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

I guess that you have never flown Southwest. There are no Business Class seats.

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

@dfwskier wrote:

I guess that you have never flown Southwest. There are no Business Class seats.

And lets hope they didn't buy a Business Class seat.

I can just see the forum then ...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@ipsedixit wrote:

And lets hope they didn't buy a Business Class seat.

I can just see the forum then ...

That has happened, so just to cover all of the bases, here is an explanation of the benefits associated with the different types of tickets:

FareTypes.PNG

Note that there's no mention of the type of seat because all ticket types provide access to all of the same seats (the entire plane).  Open seating, sit anywhere you want.

--TheMiddleSeat

sross222
Explorer C

Thanks all!  Yes, I bought "business select" assuming it was a business class seat. 

But actually, during the pandemic, I think business select may be worth the extra $ for priority boarding so I can get a windows seat near the back of the plane. 

gsking
Aviator C

Do what you want with your money, but it would be cheaper to buy a WGA fare and Early Bird Check In.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@sross222 wrote:

Thanks all!  Yes, I bought "business select" assuming it was a business class seat. 

But actually, during the pandemic, I think business select may be worth the extra $ for priority boarding so I can get a windows seat near the back of the plane. 

Several points:

1) Everybody is going to get ether an aisle or window seat.

2) Most people don't want to sit at the back of the plane, and choose to sit closer to the front..

That means that unless you are extremely unlucky that you'll get a window at the back of the plane.

If I were you, I'd buy the cheapest ticket I could and then check in exactly 24 hours before departure time.

The good news is that Business Select  tickets are fully refundable, so you could cancel, get a refund and then do as I suggested -- if that's what you want to do.

LINDAB00
Explorer C

Check in after speaking to a SWA rep no longer is done 24 hours before flight. Yes, your position is given then but in reality when you book the seat it will give you what group you will board in when its public

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@LINDAB00 Business Select reservations are automatically assigned a boarding position within A1-A15. Wanna Get Away tickets do need to check-in 24 hours prior to departure.

--TheMiddleSeat