Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Business Select - Same Day Change/Standby

seg180
Explorer C

I bought a Business Select ticket during one of the recent promotions. I had no intention of changing the ticket so I didn’t read too far into the same day change options for that type of fare. 

My original plan was to work all day and fly out at 6:50pm. Since then my schedule changed and I have been eyeing a bunch of the earlier flights that would get me to my destination at a more reasonable time. However there is a huge difference in departure times (one set of flights leaves around 9am and another around 1pm and all with varying layovers). Also the prices have risen an insane amount and a straight up flight change would cost me between $500-$700, which is more than double the original fare. I don’t want give up a quiet day just to sit around at the airport on standby, possibly lose the priority boarding, and get potentially get stuck in a different airport for 2-3 extra hours. 

Any idea if there is a way through either the app/online or a phone rep to lock in a same day flight change with a Business Select fare without paying the difference. And, if so, when does that “day” begin? Midnight? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Business Select - Same Day Change/Standby

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry, but everyone is in the same boat regardless of ticket type.: if you want to change your ticket, you have to pay the prevailing fare. 

Standby is the only option that doesn't change the cost.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

How are the prices on the Wanna Get Away fares for the flights you want?  Since you are taking the flight and refundability is no longer an issue, you could cancel the Business Select ticket and purchase the Wanna Get Away fare.  I wouldn't expect WGA fares to be as high as you are describing, but these are weird times so I could be wrong.  You would lose the priority boarding, but the upgraded boarding position that can be purchased at the gate can easily make up for that.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

The downside  to going standby is you might not get your boarding pass until well after

A1-A15 have boarded.

Worst case scenario is the plane is nearly full, and you have to wait until someone no shows

before you get your boarding pass -- and you are one of the last people to board.

seg180
Explorer C

Thanks everyone! That’s what I expected but want confirmation just to be sure I wasn’t missing out on an opportunity to make my life easier. 

Those are already the WGA prices. They are all high 5’s before taxes and that’s on top of my original BS fare. I think it’s just crazy times (and Vegas is my final destination) so people are a little vacation starved. The routes have been cut down significantly so I think I’m already seeing pretty full flights two months out. I’m hoping some people who bought anniversary sale tickets on a whim decide to back out closer to the day and seats become more attainable.

I’m thinking in the end the extra four hours isn’t worth the standby life, especially in the climate of delayed and canceled flights that have prevailed recently.