Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

CASH REFUND CNX FLIGHT CORONA VIRUS IN SAN ANTONIO, TX

NOTHAPPY99
Explorer B

We cancelled our flight today to arrive in San Antonio on March 26th because San Antonio's Mayor declared a public health emergency after a patient was mistakenly released by CDC from quarantine. 21 people are possibly infected. This woman traveled to a hotel near the airport and ate at North Star Mall and browsed stores. The mall is now being closed to be disinfected.

We attempted to get a cash refund and was told we had to take a refund credit that will expire in January 19, 2021. We elevated this to customer relation and spoke to Janey #137310, who informed us that there is no policy yet on the corona virus and I asked to speak to someone above her. She informed me that this was the highest level. I said well then, can you make an informed decision and give us our $819.92 back as we do not foresee travelling in this time span. She proceeds to put me on hold. Now, I am thinking she is going to give us our cash refund, but, instead she reads a lengthy policy and says at the current time, Southwest is not considering the coronavirus to be an emergency. I am truly disappointed in this and will be letting all my friends and family know not to travel via Southwest. Is Southwest hurting for $819.92?

I am a dissatisfied customer at this time, who just flew to San Antonio in early January before the corona virus broke out.

16 REPLIES 16

Re: CASH REFUND CNX FLIGHT CORONA VIRUS IN SAN ANTONIO, TX

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@NOTHAPPY99 wrote:

We cancelled our flight today to arrive in San Antonio on March 26th because San Antonio's Mayor declared a public health emergency after a patient was mistakenly released by CDC from quarantine. 21 people are possibly infected. This woman traveled to a hotel near the airport and ate at North Star Mall and browsed stores. The mall is now being closed to be disinfected.

We attempted to get a cash refund and was told we had to take a refund credit that will expire in January 19, 2021. We elevated this to customer relation and spoke to Janey #137310, who informed us that there is no policy yet on the corona virus and I asked to speak to someone above her. She informed me that this was the highest level. I said well then, can you make an informed decision and give us our $819.92 back as we do not foresee travelling in this time span. She proceeds to put me on hold. Now, I am thinking she is going to give us our cash refund, but, instead she reads a lengthy policy and says at the current time, Southwest is not considering the coronavirus to be an emergency. I am truly disappointed in this and will be letting all my friends and family know not to travel via Southwest. Is Southwest hurting for $819.92?

I am a dissatisfied customer at this time, who just flew to San Antonio in early January before the corona virus broke out.

You have credit towards future travel without change or rebooking fees, which, at the moment is all any carrier is giving. Your best bet is to keep an eye on the situation and contact Southwest again should they publish any sort of advisory. Since they already allow flexible reaccommodations, I doubt they'll allow cancellation for full refund, but anything could happen depending on how the situation plays out in the coming weeks & months.

bec102896
Aviator A

The other airlines that are allowing people to change or cancel reservations are only giving them credit towards future travel within a year which is no different from Southwest at the present time.

golfeddy1
Explorer B

With respect, that;s not the point, WE should be able to have OUR money re-funded

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

"We cancelled our flight today to arrive in San Antonio on March 26th because San Antonio's Mayor declared a public health emergency after a patient was mistakenly released by CDC from quarantine. 21 people are possibly infected. This woman traveled to a hotel near the airport and ate at North Star Mall and browsed stores. The mall is now being closed to be disinfected."

If you are this paranoid then you probably shouldn't fly, or even leave your house too often. Sorry, that's just how I see it. Everyone panicking and giving in the media induced fear is just ridiculous. 

Here you go: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

Have Fear!

No, I wouldn't book a trip to China right now, but San Antonio? Yeah, just stay home.

NOTHAPPY99
Explorer B

My gripe is a full refund not a refund credit.  Where is your feedback to what I am requesting?

You pulled part of my statement out context and just commented by calling me paranoid and telling me to stay home.  

You don't need to post a link for me, I am more informed than you are. 

Totally not interested in what you have to say.  You sound like a person that get caught up in issues that have nothing to do with you.  

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@NOTHAPPY99 wrote:

My gripe is a full refund not a refund credit.  Where is your feedback to what I am requesting?

You pulled part of my statement out context and just commented by calling me paranoid and telling me to stay home.  

You don't need to post a link for me, I am more informed than you are. 

Totally not interested in what you have to say.  You sound like a person that get caught up in issues that have nothing to do with you.  

We're sorry for the disappointment, @NOTHAPPY99, and we understand your frustration. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to follow the steps below to reach out via official Customer Service channels. Thanks!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

Nicole
Community Manager

NOTHAPPY99
Explorer B

I have reached out to customer relations and made my complaint on the website.  This is why I posted my gripe here.  

I got  this lengthy response and saying they are not giving us our $819.92 cash back instead of a refund voucher:  Just ridiculous......

Dear 

Thank you for contacting us about your previous reservation associated with confirmation number xxxxx. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

I’m sorry for your disappointment after speaking with a Customer Relations Representative about a refund request for your initial travel to San Antonio. Southwest has implemented measures for dealing with communicable diseases—including procedures for recognizing symptoms of communicable diseases, protecting against the spread of infection, and reporting communicable disease incidents—based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).

Additionally, our entire fleet is subject to a rigorous cleaning program that includes comprehensive cleanings each night, as well as procedures for cleaning the aircraft and any contaminated areas during or after a flight with an ill traveler who may have a communicable disease. Our program is designed to comply with applicable health requirements, and most importantly, provide a safe environment for our Customers and Employees.

Southwest operations are not impacted at this time. However, we are actively monitoring information on the coronavirus (COVID-19), with Teams across the airline that are constantly reviewing and assessing updates from agencies such as the CDC and the WHO. If we anticipate significant disruptions to our operation, we will post a Travel Advisory on our website and provide affected Customers the option to rebook their travel in accordance with our accommodation procedures.

That said, Southwest is unique in the airline industry because we do not charge fees to change or cancel flights. Customers who choose to rebook their travel may be required to pay a difference in fare. Additionally, nonrefundable tickets not flown on the travel date, but canceled in accordance with Southwest’s No Show policy, can be applied to future travel completed by the expiration date. More information about our policies can be found on Southwest.com. Nonetheless, we are unable to consider a refund of the aforementioned reservation. I apologize for your dissatisfaction. 

We hope that this information is evidence of how seriously we take our Customers’ and Crews' Safety and the importance we place on being prepared. We truly appreciate your business and hope you’ll give us an opportunity to welcome you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Stuart Johnson, Southwest Airlines

The file reference number for your email is 

NOTHAPPY99
Explorer B

I wrote a complaint and got the below response.  I just want a cash refund and not a refund voucher for my $819.92.  Will never fly Southwest not ever again.   

Dear xxxx

Thank you for contacting us about your previous reservation associated with confirmation number xxxx. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

I’m sorry for your disappointment after speaking with a Customer Relations Representative about a refund request for your initial travel to San Antonio. Southwest has implemented measures for dealing with communicable diseases—including procedures for recognizing symptoms of communicable diseases, protecting against the spread of infection, and reporting communicable disease incidents—based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).

Additionally, our entire fleet is subject to a rigorous cleaning program that includes comprehensive cleanings each night, as well as procedures for cleaning the aircraft and any contaminated areas during or after a flight with an ill traveler who may have a communicable disease. Our program is designed to comply with applicable health requirements, and most importantly, provide a safe environment for our Customers and Employees.

Southwest operations are not impacted at this time. However, we are actively monitoring information on the coronavirus (COVID-19), with Teams across the airline that are constantly reviewing and assessing updates from agencies such as the CDC and the WHO. If we anticipate significant disruptions to our operation, we will post a Travel Advisory on our website and provide affected Customers the option to rebook their travel in accordance with our accommodation procedures.

That said, Southwest is unique in the airline industry because we do not charge fees to change or cancel flights. Customers who choose to rebook their travel may be required to pay a difference in fare. Additionally, nonrefundable tickets not flown on the travel date, but canceled in accordance with Southwest’s No Show policy, can be applied to future travel completed by the expiration date. More information about our policies can be found on Southwest.com. Nonetheless, we are unable to consider a refund of the aforementioned reservation. I apologize for your dissatisfaction. 

We hope that this information is evidence of how seriously we take our Customers’ and Crews' Safety and the importance we place on being prepared. We truly appreciate your business and hope you’ll give us an opportunity to welcome you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Stuart Johnson, Southwest Airlines

The file reference number for your email is 

bec102896
Aviator A

Currently no airlines are issuing refunds for people who cancel.