Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: CASH REFUND CNX FLIGHT CORONA VIRUS IN SAN ANTONIO, TX

feelingsad
Explorer C

They did the same thing to us. We had flights to the NCAA tournament. We won't use $800+ in a year with Southwest....the closest place for us to catch one of their cheap flights is Denver and that's a 6 hour drive!

Southwest should give refunds so that we can actually use the money we spent on plane tickets we cannot use due to closures from COVID-19 for actual bills we are incurring because of COVID-19.

Shame on you Southwest. I waited 1.5 hours on hold for your rude customer service rep that basically read the same policy statement you received. Haven't we already proved that this isn't about your policies anymore....Be kind to people. This is not a fun time for any of us.

dissapointed5
Explorer C

I too have cancelled 4 flights to Denver due to the Coronavirus and was told by Southwest that I can only get credit for future flights. Also, that only the name on the individual flights must be used. This will prove to be nearly impossible. We, like most people can't just pack up and take off on holiday at a whim. Our list of passengers include a 1 year old baby and a senior citizen, over the age of 60. Its just not worth the chance to us since the government is advising not to travel. If Southwest changes its policy, due to government travel advisories, I would hope that they will contact me at my registered email address. I'm sure Southwest operates partially on government subsidies and it seems like refunds would be the right thing to do. I guess I made a $1200 + mistake by reserving the seats early.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dissapointed5 wrote:

I'm sure Southwest operates partially on government subsidies and it seems like refunds would be the right thing to do.

If Southwest were to be receive some sort of airline industry bailout money I suspect policies may change including things like allowing more time to use travel funds or even possibly allowing cash refunds, but they aren't getting subsidies now and their existing cancelation policies for non-refundable tickets are pretty generous.

--TheMiddleSeat

dissapointed5
Explorer C

I would disagree with you when you say "they aren't getting any subsidies now". They, like most any large corporation, are getting help from the taxpayers in the form of subsidies and tax breaks. The president is now talking about a bailout for the airlines. This just leave us, the consumers to suffer the pandemic. They are not being generous, and don't forget they would not be in business if not for us. This is not our fault and charging us for a service that will not be used is unacceptable. 

joyceblust
Explorer C

Issuing a travel credit under these circumstances is not a solution at all.  I understand that by purchasing the non-refundable tickets it is a gamble.  Having said that, tell me when in our lifetime something like this has occurred.  Things are shut down by our government.  This is something we have zero control over.  As stated people are forced out their jobs.  They are instructed not to leave their homes.  Businesses are closed and there is a very good chance they can loose everything they have worked their entire lives for.  It could be years before they are able to travel again.  The fact that Southwest is not making exceptions under these circumstances it disgusting!! As stated the Government will be helping the Airlines through this.    I can promise this will have far greater negative affect on this airline than the money they would have refunded.  

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Southwest didn't cause this, and they are no more to blame than you are. You entered into a contract. From my experience, they are honoring the contract. When Southwest canceled my flight, I got a refund, easy-peasy. When I canceled two flights, I got credit. 

Everyone always seems to think their situation is special, and that the rules shouldn't apply to them. None of you have a special situation. These times are a special situation, but your situation is not. Southwest is playing by the rules (unlike Air France), but they are also trying to survive and preserve jobs.

Play by the rules. You are NOT special. The rules apply to you too. When things are over, take a vacation. 

NOTHAPPY99
Explorer B

What are you talking about?  There is a Pandemic happening and no need to play by whatever rules that you are speaking about.  This was not foreseeable by any of us and I do not plan to travel by plane until there is a vaccine in the future.  Therefore, it would behoove Southwest to have compassion and issue refunds and not vouchers during this crisis.  

Everyone always seems to think their situation is special, and that the rules shouldn't apply to them. None of you have a special situation. These times are a special situation, but your situation is not.   Your statement here doesn't make sense.  Unless there is a vaccine we could be in this crisis for a long while.  So, yes this situation is special and we should be given a refund since it is not our fault nor Southwest.  Why should Southwest keep our money if it wasn't our fault either?  Seems to me, this a no brainer.  They are a billion dollar company who will get help from the government and keep our money.