Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

COMPLETE DISGUST AND DISSATISFACTION with SOUTHWEST's response to forcing vouchers versus REFUNDS

MsDanyls
Explorer C

This is my first time utilizing SWA's community discussion forum.  To my surprise, however, it seems that I am not the only VERY UNSATISFIED CUSTOMER as a result on these forced vouchers instead of SWA taking the higher road and doing what is right.....REFUNDS!!

My family and I were scheduled to fly to Montego Bay on March 22nd, 2020.  Due to the really big elephant in the room, COVID-19, Jamaica closed its borders on March 21st, 2020 at 11:59pm.  So, OBVIOUSLY, that flight was going to be cancelled.  BUT, because I cancelled it knowing this closure was going to be the case, before SWA cancelled the flight, SWA is refusing to provide me with a refund.  Then add insult to injury, they extend a voucher to June 2021.  Who in the hell knows what the comfort level will be in June of next year with this virus and flying??  It is not SOUTHWEST AIRLINES decision to make for me to fly over the next year.  This is an unprecedented circumstance that this company must take in to consideration.  SWA was, until now....my favorite airline to fly.  I am disgusted at the way your company is turning your nose up to your customers and ignoring the fear and concern generated by this Pandemic. I plan to move my platform to social media next.  It would be to your best interest to think, FIRST, about your customer's well being versus your finances as of today, because as we all pray, things will, at some point, get back to normal.  THIS AIRLINE WILL NOT EVEN MAKE THE LIST UNLESS YOU MAKE THIS RIGHT BY PROVIDING REFUNDS TO ME AND ALL OF THE OTHERS WHO WERE CAUGHT UP WITH RESTRICTIONS OF NOT BEING ABLE TO COMPLETE TRAVEL PLANS. 

DO THE RIGHT THING GARY KELLY!!!!! (CEO of SOUTHWEST AIRLINES)

6 REPLIES 6

Re: COMPLETE DISGUST AND DISSATISFACTION with SOUTHWEST's response to forcing vouchers versus REFUND

bechtelmt
Explorer C

I too am so disgusted with Southwest that I could spit.

We booked a group flight to Puerto Rico to go on a cruise.

The cruise was cancelled so we were refunded our money.

Our return flight has been cancelled and Southwest will not refund our money.

Plus we live in a state that is stay at home and are heading to a place that has a curfew.

I have called so money times and am just angry.

I also contacted my Senator because the US Department of Transportation said if your flight was significantly changed the airlines should give you your money back.

And Southwest is not honoring this so I have asked my Senator to not provide them with a bailout.

Gary Kelly instead of saying you care about your customers.. Show it.

Re: COMPLETE DISGUST AND DISSATISFACTION with SOUTHWEST's response to forcing vouchers versus REFUND

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Let's make this as simple as possible:

You cancel your flight = travel fund to use before June 30, 2021

Airline cancels your flight = cash refund, call Customer Relations or contact via live chat in Southwest app, or private message on Twitter (@SouthwestAir) 

Those guidelines are how every airline handles refunds of non-refundable fares and it meets DOT requirements. 

--TheMiddleSeat

MsDanyls
Explorer C

The Middle Seat....

Tried all of your suggestions prior to sharing my frustration on this platform.  It is NOT simple at this point.  SWA is NOT willing to do the right thing here.  Simple as that.  However, I'm not done.  It appears the Mr. Gary Kelly has disengaged his email.  Probably from the thousands of very unsatisfied customers.  Simple for him to change his email to dodge his responsibility as a corporate leader.   

dfwskier
Aviator A

You  may not like it, but Southwest is  doing exactly what it is contractually required to 

do, exactly what the government requires, and exactly what every other airline is doing.

YOU agreed to that contract when you bought your ticket. It's called the Contract of Carriage.

It's on the Southwest website. Perhaps you should read it.

bechtelmt
Explorer C

When we purchased our tickets there was no Covid 19.

They may be following their contractual obligations but they are not following the Department of Transportation guidelines for Covid 19.

I for one will be as vocal as I can be so they get investigated. I urge anyone else feeling as disgusted as I do to do the same. Contact your representatives, your local newspapers, television programs, the department of transportation.

For me...it's not simple.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Per bechtelmt :  "but they are not following the Department of Transportation guidelines for Covid 19." 

They are following DOT guidelines.  You don't seem to understand the policy.  Nothing to investigate here.