Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

COVID 19 From FLight to Rental Car

yellowjacket
Explorer C

I have travel funds to use, and wish not to board a flight at this time. I am comfortable with renting a car and making my way to my destination. How do I use Southwest Travel Funds to rent a car in the time of COVID 19? 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: COVID 19 From FLight to Rental Car

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry, but that is not possible.

You may only use travel funds to buy tickets on Southwest.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@yellowjacket wrote:

I have travel funds to use, and wish not to board a flight at this time. I am comfortable with renting a car and making my way to my destination. How do I use Southwest Travel Funds to rent a car in the time of COVID 19? 

It's not possible now.

At some point in the future, however, you'll be able to convert certain Travel Funds (those from covid-19 related cancellations) into Rapid Rewards points. If you also have a Rapid Rewards credit card by Chase, you can access More Rewards, and use your points to purchase rental cars (among other things, such as hotels, international flights, merchandise and gift cards). The exchange rate is poor, meaning it's not a good use of your points compared to booking Southwest flights. But it will be possible.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Got my answer here.  But I'm cautious based on your assessment of the exchange rate.   thanks for the heads up.

bec102896
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

Got my answer here.  But I'm cautious based on your assessment of the exchange rate.   thanks for the heads up.

Yeah at this point it will be a wait and see how the conversation works once the feature is released hopefully we get full points credit for the travel funds without some kind of deduction because we make the funds points. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

Yeah at this point it will be a wait and see how the conversation works once the feature is released hopefully we get full points credit for the travel funds without some kind of deduction because we make the funds points. 

I didn't see this earlier. Just to be clear, my comment was regarding the exchange rate when using RR points to book rental cars through More Rewards, not the rate to convert Travel Funds to RR points (which is 78 points/$1, as expected).

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

The ability to convert Travel Funds to Rapid Rewards points is now live in the My Account section of the SW site:

convert.JPG

-A List, Companion Pass holder

dfwskier
Aviator A

@elijahbrantley wrote:

The ability to convert Travel Funds to Rapid Rewards points is now live in the My Account section of the SW site:

convert.JPG

That is great to know.