Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

COZUMEL MEXICO COVID TESTING SITES BEFORE RETURN FLIGHT: Help/Suggestions needed

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I have a trip (hopefully) to Cozumel Mexico on Friday, April 24th, 2021 to Cozumel.  After booking I then researched the protocol of entering and leaving Mexico and the COVID restrictions.   I was aware that I needed a Negative test 72 hours prior to my departure, which I will get the day before I leave.  However, I will then need another Negative test within 3 days of my departure.  On the date of departure, it will be 5 days since I had the test to go to Mexico, so I will still need another one once I land in Cozumel.  I've done some research about testing stations in Cozumel, but as of right now I'm a bit confused.  Can anyone assist me with how to obtain a test with results in one day, (same day) on the Island of Cozumel.  I read somewhere that hotels will give the test but I've not found any in Cozumel that state they will provide them.  Maybe one of the SWA employees on here can ask the FA that travels to and from Cozumel.  Any help, assistance, or suggestions will be most helpful and appreciated. 

14 REPLIES 14

Re: COZUMEL MEXICO COVID TESTING SITES BEFORE RETURN FLIGHT: Help/Suggestions needed

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

I have a trip (hopefully) to Cozumel Mexico on Friday, April 24th, 2021 to Cozumel.  After booking I then researched the protocol of entering and leaving Mexico and the COVID restrictions.   I was aware that I needed a Negative test 72 hours prior to my departure, which I will get the day before I leave.  However, I will then need another Negative test within 3 days of my departure.  On the date of departure, it will be 5 days since I had the test to go to Mexico, so I will still need another one once I land in Cozumel.  I've done some research about testing stations in Cozumel, but as of right now I'm a bit confused.  Can anyone assist me with how to obtain a test with results in one day, (same day) on the Island of Cozumel.  I read somewhere that hotels will give the test but I've not found any in Cozumel that state they will provide them.  Maybe one of the SWA employees on here can ask the FA that travels to and from Cozumel.  Any help, assistance, or suggestions will be most helpful and appreciated. 

Sorry I don't have any advice from experience to share, hopefully someone else here does. But Mexico does list a few non-hotel testing locations here.

In case you haven't seen it -- the above is linked from Southwest's Mexico covid travel info page.

Re: COZUMEL MEXICO COVID TESTING SITES BEFORE RETURN FLIGHT: Help/Suggestions needed

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@chgoflyer Thanks, Chicago Flyer.  Since my post and research, I've found a few good pieces of information, I don't have to have a COVID test prior to flying to Mexico.  And the process of getting a COVID test in Cozumel doesn't seem that difficult.  Just finding one that does a quick turnaround is my next project.  The one thing I will do is to document my flight and testing experiences so that I can post and others will hopefully benefit from.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The chart at the link I shared includes the turn-around time for the testing locations.

gsking
Aviator C

You don't need a test to go to Mexico,  just to return to the US.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@gsking Yes, a mentioned in my second reply, I did find that out and was pretty pleased to find that out.  Thanks for reaching out with that info though.  You always provided great insight.

gsking
Aviator C

We didn't have to get return tests,  because we had the waiver for having had Covid.   But I hear they are fairly easy and cheap to get. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@gsking WOW!  I'm glad you recovered from COVID.  Since I've never contracted it, I haven't even read that part of the discussion of what you need.  Both my wife and I have been vaccinated since Feb/March, but that is irrelevant for Mexico.  I'm now looking to book a flight to Hawaii soon as I heard last night they will be going to Vaccination Passports.  YES, I'm all in for that.  

gsking
Aviator C

Thanks,  it wasn't a big deal.   A week of smell ending with a day of fever.   And 90 days of unrestricted travel. Almost worth the hassle.  😉

Don't trust Hawaii.   Their vaccine passport concepts are illogical and inconsistent.   From what I read,  you'll still need pretesting.  Maui even wants to ADD posttesting, regardless of vaccination.   The vaccine passport might only avoid a second test in Kona.

I'm going there end of May,  and hopefully this will be settled out.   

But the good news is... in my experience Walgreens is painless now for fast PCR testing.   Got it done in an hour in  FL.  Hopefully it's as fast and easy to book in CA next month. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@gsking Honestly, we were heading to Honolulu this weekend, but instead of the hassle, I changed it to Cozumel actually getting some refund.  Several attractions were not fully open yet at Pearl Harbor so that was the deciding factor.  So I will be booking soon.  If you don't mind giving me a message of your experience when you return I would sure appreciate it.  I've done Kona before SWA flew there but now will hit every island that SWA flies to.