Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I carry on a 150 watt-hour battery?

justonequestion
Explorer C

I have a 150 watt-hour V-mount battery (https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Mount-Lock-Battery-Rechargeable/dp/B01MY7M9EA/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=neew...) and I'm hoping to carry it onto a flight to a conference tomorrow. I've done some research, and apparently 100Wh is the limit for lithium ion batteries... unless I have "airline approval." I found that at one point a Southwest Airlines page had the text "Cells or batteries that exceed the 160 watt-hour limit are not allowed as checked or carryon baggage." (google "southwest airlines battery size"), but the page seems to have changed. Is that considered "approval?" If not, how do I get approval?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can I carry on a 150 watt-hour battery?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

You are correct that 100 watt-hours is the TSA limit for maximum lithium ion battery size allowed in a checked bag. Southwest allows for no more than 2 batteries between 100 and 160 watt-hours to be carried on.

Here's the link and policy:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

Click on Portable Electronic Devices

"If the lithium-ion cells or batteries exceed 100 watt-hours, only 2 cells or batteries not exceeding 160 watt-hours each are permitted. Cells or batteries that exceed the 160 watt-hour limit are not allowed as checked or carryon baggage."

Your single 150 watt-hours battery is acceptable for carry-on. 

--TheMiddleSeat

justonequestion
Explorer C

Thank you so much! I was looking at the Batteries section of the webapge. 😛

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@justonequestion wrote:

Thank you so much! I was looking at the Batteries section of the webapge. 😛

Lol, that would be waaaay too logical. Have a good flight and enjoy the conference. 

--TheMiddleSeat

BigCubsFan
Explorer C

I researched this, and I’m also an IATA Certified shipper…so why was I asked to remove a speaker with a measly little 24 watt hour battery?  

Im leaving SBA and I was told I had to remove the speaker from my checked bag…

markwarrick
Explorer C

Follow-up questions: Do you have to request permission from the airline to bring a 150 watt hour lithium battery in your carry on?  If so, how do you request permission?  And who's checking?   I've never had a carry on checked by Southwest.