Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I check a foldable wagon?

erikabp10
Explorer C

Traveling to FL in July with my husband and 2 kids, 4 and 10. We would like to bring our foldable wagon for when we go to the beach. Are we able to check that in with our luggage? Also for our 4yo, we would like to bring his stroller with us, can we bring it through security and check it at our gate? That way we have it immediately after exiting the plane and won’t have to wait for it to come through the baggage claim. First time flying with kids!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Can I check a foldable wagon?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@erikabp10 wrote:

Traveling to FL in July with my husband and 2 kids, 4 and 10. We would like to bring our foldable wagon for when we go to the beach. Are we able to check that in with our luggage? Also for our 4yo, we would like to bring his stroller with us, can we bring it through security and check it at our gate? That way we have it immediately after exiting the plane and won’t have to wait for it to come through the baggage claim. First time flying with kids!

There is a wealth of information on this board about family travel. Maybe we can provide a few tips to help out.

• Foldable wagon - I don't see why not, but it should be secured so that it will be safe for the baggage handling, not likely to get damaged, etc. If it was made to be foldable for traveling like this that should be helpful...when you pack it up make sure there aren't loose parts that might stick out. Everyone will be ticketed so you'll have two bags per person including the wagon. Strollers are usually allowed in addition to the allowance.
  • Gate check the stroller - yes! You'll go through security and to the gate with it, then ask them at the departure gate for a gate check sticker. If you have a cover or bag for the stroller, put the gate check tag on the cover. You'll want to do this in advance of boarding, especially if you will be using family boarding. If you don't already have a cover for the stroller, Southwest sells these for > $20 I believe at the ticket counter, and also at the baggage services. You can use your own cover as well. The procedure will be to take the stroller down the jetway and drop it outside the aircraft door. Someone will come grab it from there and stow it.
  • Family boarding - assuming you don't all end up with A-numbers, you may want to use family boarding between the A and B groups. Make sure the stroller is bagged and ready to go before this time. The rules are for two adults per kid six and under - you should ask about bringing the 10 y/o through as well though. Some gate agents may not be flexible - in that case send one adult and both kids through family boarding, and the remaining adult board at their scheduled position.
  • Retrieval of gate checked item - when you arrive, the stroller will be brought up and left outside the aircraft door - don't go up the jetway without it. It will be left in the equivalent position where you dropped it. Usually this works pretty well, but if it hasn't shown up yet ask one of the crew if they can look for it. 

Safe travels!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Can I check a foldable wagon?

jadalb26
Explorer C

Hi,

Were you able to check your wagon at the gate?  I am traveling alone with 3 children ages 4 and under and would like to bring a wagon instead of a stroller.

thank you.