Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I check baggage to final destination on trip booked on separate tickets?

aznboionfiya
Explorer C

I am flying from Phoenix to LA, then LA to Orlando in March and booked the flights separately because the ticket costs were cheaper. My question is can I check in my luggage in Phoenix for the LA-Orlando ticket so I don't have to pick up my baggage in LA, recheck them, and go through security again?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Can I check baggage to final destination on trip booked on separate tickets?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

A check-in agent should be able to help you with that. Note: You won't be able to use the self-tag or express bag drop (if available), you'll need to see an actual agent at check-in. Good luck!

Re: Can I check baggage to final destination on trip booked on separate tickets?

bec102896
Aviator A

So I have done the same kind of thing before where I book 2 separate one ways but in my experience they told me I would have to claim by baggage and re check it because the agent in the original departure airport does not see my other flights only the flights on the reservation to/from that airport. 

For example i did AUS to HOU. Then HOU to MCO. The agent said all they see is the flight to HOU. So I had to re check in when I got to Houston

also it's important to note when making a point to point reservation you *may* not be covered if your 1st flight is delayed to missing your next flight because it is booked seperatly. And to them you would be a no show on the 2nd flight. 

If you booked your 2 flights on the same confirmation number then they should be able to check it to the final destination and you would not be a no show should a big delay occur 

If you have any questions let me know and also if they check your bag all the way let me know also because then maybe I just had an agent that wouldn't do it 

hope this helps

Blake