Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I fly to New York from California with all these Covid restrictions.

LuisC
Explorer C

I wanna fly to NY then fly back to California in 3 day span but there saying I gotta quarantine for 10 days if I fly to either state 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can I fly to New York from California with all these Covid restrictions.

bec102896
Aviator A

I believe how it works is you would quarantine for the duration of your trip or up to the 14 days (whichever is shorter) so you could go to New York for a quick trip but you will be stuck in quarantine. Some states now allow covid tests instead of quarantine or for a reduced quarantine but that is changing all the time so I would check with New York to see the rules. 

Another thing to keep in mind you may be subject to a quarantine on your return to California. 

-Blake

Re: Can I fly to New York from California with all these Covid restrictions.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@LuisC wrote:

I wanna fly to NY then fly back to California in 3 day span but there saying I gotta quarantine for 10 days if I fly to either state 

not exactly.

the NY rules say: "Passengers who show proof of a valid negative COVID-19 PCR test (nasal, saliva, and including rapid, are acceptable) within 72 hours of departure and an additional valid negative COVID-19 PCR test four days after arrival will not have to quarantine. "

https://www.southwest.com/coronavirus/new-york/

The way I read that is that you'd need to have a negative test result within 3 day of leaving for NY. MY read is that fi you leave in three days, then you would not need to quarantine. If you stay longer than 3 days you'd need another test on the 4th day after arrival.

The rules for California are a bit more complex and apparently vary depending on which airport is your arrival airport.

https://www.southwest.com/coronavirus/california/

Can I fly to New York from California with all these Covid restrictions.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I think NY is a tougher sell now with the new strain of COVID that has been reported in that city, (2 cases) and they are going to be more cautious.  But good suggestions are that you are already in self-quarantine while there.  And then fly back you have minimized your risk (and others) and quick tests are becoming available.