Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I fly with a learners permit?

cjm22
Explorer C

I am over 18, but do not have a drivers license. I do have a learners permit though and wanted to know if that counted as an acceptable form of id for southwest. It’s too late to get a state id as my flight is before the card would arrive so any suggestions on what to do would be great. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can I fly with a learners permit?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Here is a list of identification TSA will accept to get through security.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

There is also an option for people that do not have any identification, just allow yourself extra time to get through security. Southwest asks for ID when checking a bag, if you do not have a TSA approved ID bring anything you can that has your name, and ideally, also has a photo on it. If you are not checking a bag Southwest does not need to see any identification.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

If it  contains your pic, it surely would qualify. If not, see themiddleseat's post (above).

I

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

When I read the title my jaw dropped!  But now that I read it I understand what you're asking about.  You're asking will a learner's permit act as a form of ID to fly, not "Can you fly?"  You have been given the information you need.  I'm just wondering why over the age of 16 you have never gotten a photo ID card as this world we live in nowadays pretty much requires it in some form.  I know I'm answering this late, but I hope you got on your flight somehow.  I've never gone to the link to see what ID's work, but I'm also thinking you would have a school ID?