Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I gate check a pop-up playard?

Windsummoner
Explorer C

I’m flying for the first time with 1 1/2 year-old twins, my partner and our five-year old.

To contain our twins while waiting in the airport, and allowing them to stretch their legs, we would like to use our pop-up playyard (like this one: Summer Infant Pop N' Play Portable Playard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KBGTRAC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4zApBbTQS2FCG)

Is it possible to gate check such an item?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Can I gate check a pop-up playard?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

It looks like the carry bag is smaller than most carry on bags. So you should be able to carry it on board or gate check it. Double theck the bag dinmensions to verify that it's small enough to carry on board. You'll need to be sure to secure the open end of the bag to insure that nothing slips out in transit, and find a way to securely attach a name tag to the bag.

Windsummoner
Explorer C

I’ll double-check the dimentions. Thank you!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Windsummoner wrote:

I’m flying for the first time with 1 1/2 year-old twins, my partner and our five-year old.

To contain our twins while waiting in the airport, and allowing them to stretch their legs, we would like to use our pop-up playyard (like this one: Summer Infant Pop N' Play Portable Playard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KBGTRAC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4zApBbTQS2FCG)

Is it possible to gate check such an item?

To add on to @dfwskier 's reply, if you have a bag for the playard, take that up to the gate well before boarding and get the gate-check ticket. I believe you can also let them know to gate check on the origination, and then pick it up at regular baggage claim on the destination - verify with the gate agent. (No need to carry it through your destination airport if you don't have to.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Windsummoner
Explorer C

Good advice. Thank you!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Thanks for popping in and asking your question on the Communitiy, @Windsummoner! If any of these answers help you, be sure to click the "Accept Solution" button. Happy travels to you and your family!

Windsummoner
Explorer C

Thank you!