Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Can't use Travel funds by Expiration due to Covid

bamacass
New Arrival

@tjsazwnflyer 

I agree, especially since in addition to keeping passenger funds,  Southwest is also trying to force some workers to take a pay cut or be laid off. We don't see them, but in terms of our safety, the mechanics are some of the most important people in the airline industry

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2020/11/06/southwest-issues-42-furlough-notices-after-c...

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@bamacass wrote:

@tjsazwnflyer 

I agree, especially since in addition to keeping passenger funds,  Southwest is also trying to force some workers to take a pay cut or be laid off. We don't see them, but in terms of our safety, the mechanics are some of the most important people in the airline industry

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2020/11/06/southwest-issues-42-furlough-notices-after-c...

Southwest is being honest with it's workers. ALL NON UNION SW employees have already had wage cuts. Unions have to decide whether to join their non union friends or simply let the least senior people get laid off. That is what the contracts say will happen.

For those that get laid off would they have been better off with a 10% wage cut or whatever they get from unemployment plus whatever they'd get from the union?

If you haven;t been paying attention, United and American have already laid off tens of thousands of workers.

Can't use Travel funds by Expiration due to Covid

SWFlyer007
Rising Star

@slivingh I agree with @dfwskier  You know for $600, If it were me, I'd maybe even throw in a, "What if I paid $100 for an extension?"  You never know.  Pay another $100 to save $600 sounds like a win to me.  

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

@slivingh I agree with @dfwskier  You know for $600, If it were me, I'd maybe even throw in a, "What if I paid $100 for an extension?"  You never know.  Pay another $100 to save $600 sounds like a win to me.  

With regards to this, Southwest's "unpublished policy" is as follows:

Once your travel funds are expired, you have 6 months in which to request that they be reissued as a voucher. If granted, that voucher will be good for 6 months from the date of issue.

Vouchers are good for use by anyone, not just the named passenger(s) as with travel funds, but are only good for the airfare portion of travel, not any taxes or fees.

Currently, the fee for this exception is $100 per fund/passengers, which is deducted from the travel funds' balance. If you have multiple travel funds, consider using them towards a new flight and then cancelling that flight, to effectively combine them into one fund, so that you'll only pay one fee. If there are multiple passengers on the fund you'll pay the $100 fee for each passenger.

This is a non-published policy, so everything about it can change without notice, including the fee, which has risen from $50 to $75 and now $100 over the past few years.

To make the request reach out to Customer Relations after your funds have expired.

Contact Customer Relations 

ThatAdamGuy
New Arrival

Hi there,

I had $185 in funds expire today.

Am I correct in understanding if I wait *just under 6 months* to request a re-issue, I'll get $85 in credit *from the day I request it*?  Or just 6 months from expiration no matter what, e.g., May 2, 2021?

Thanks in advance for the info 🙂

wrthsmths
New Arrival

So if we pay the $100/each for our funds that expire in December, we get a single voucher for the balance?

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@wrthsmths wrote:

So if we pay the $100/each for our funds that expire in December, we get a single voucher for the balance?

You would get one voucher for each travel fund that you convert.

So, if you have multiple travel funds, you could use up to three of them to buy one new ticket, and then cancel that ticket. The result would be one expiring travel fund and one $100 fee to convert to a voucher. If you have more than three, then continue the process.

So if you did that twice, you could turn 5-6 travel funds into 2. You could then continue that process and turn those 2 into 1. I'm pretty sure you could find a $1300+ rt business select fare

to use    high value travel funds on.

wrthsmths
New Arrival

Thanks.   I too was unaware of the summer buy-another-ticket-and-cancel idea.  SW told me there was nothing I could do (except for the post-expiration voucher).  Life ain't fair, oh well.  I appreciate the voucher gathering idea.  Cheers.

lonegungirl
New Arrival

Thanks for the information on consolidating the travel funds--I had 3 of around $90 and $66 that are expiring end of this month, and none of the SW people I spoke with mentioned it (I guess not wanting people to make and cancel a bunch of reservations) as an alternative to just losing all of it.  As it is, I made it into one fund of about $245 and $1 so at least I should be able to salvage $145 out of it unless everything changes up again.

sharonrose
New Arrival

I am in the same situation except my travel funds are for myself and my daughter - total is $1,590 for the two tickets.  I'm nearly 70 and a widow and my daughter has had open-heart surgery but Southwest is just telling me to get on a plane before they expire on December 10th.  They don't care if we die.  All I asked is that they extend them until it is safe for us to travel.  The virus is surging and we are immuno-compromised.  But I just got a form letter refusal saying sorry we'll just keep your money.  Southwest received MILLIONS of dollars in government bailout.  The "government money" is OUR taxpayer money.  So they are screwing us twice.  I've been a loyal fan of Southwest for decades and I'm shocked and appalled at their lack of consideration for individual circumstances.  These tickets were to visit aging family and when it is safe for us to fly I won't have the money so we've lost the chance to see them before they die.  I'm a widow on limited income and Southwest received millions already in bailout.  Why hurt their customers?