Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Can't use Travel funds by Expiration due to Covid

nschone
New Arrival

I am reading this blog and realizing that my 1667 dollar tickets for a soccer tournament in Las Vegas have been taken from me by SW.   I am totally upset , my girls senior year, senior soccer tournament cancelled and no flights going anywhere.   I kept checking as well  and it said we had until december 2020 to decide what to do - we booked another flight to florida only to have to change that as well.   

We can not fly and I lose my 1667.   This is horrible .   Southwest you are not the company I thought you were - and I hope you go out of business if this is how you treat your customers.   

So wrong! 

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@nschone wrote:

I am reading this blog and realizing that my 1667 dollar tickets for a soccer tournament in Las Vegas have been taken from me by SW.   I am totally upset , my girls senior year, senior soccer tournament cancelled and no flights going anywhere.   I kept checking as well  and it said we had until december 2020 to decide what to do - we booked another flight to florida only to have to change that as well.   

We can not fly and I lose my 1667.   This is horrible .   Southwest you are not the company I thought you were - and I hope you go out of business if this is how you treat your customers.   

So wrong! 

Sorry to hear that.

So your travel funds have expired? 

If so the best you'll be able to do is use the airline's unofficial policy that let's you convert expired travel funds into vouchers. The cost is $100/travel fund to do so. You have 6 months from travel fund expiration date to do so. The resultant voucher is good for 6 months.

As a side note  the airline did give everyone with a travel fund created between 3/1 and 9/7 a way of  extending the expiration date of the fund til 9/7/22. The offer was in effect for at least 4 months and expired on 9/7/20. I guess you did not hear about it.

nschone
New Arrival

I am sorry for the previous post - I totally misunderstood - Southwest finally called back and straightened out the issue.   I am terribly sorry for the frustration I was feeling and realize I am wrong.  

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@nschone wrote:

I am sorry for the previous post - I totally misunderstood - Southwest finally called back and straightened out the issue.   I am terribly sorry for the frustration I was feeling and realize I am wrong.  

Glad to hear it.

Southwest really does try to do right by it's customers.

tjsazwnflyer
New Arrival

Same Southwest response received here - and I am a 30+ year Southwest frequent flyer who earned A-list and a Companion Pass during my business days! Obviously they don't care. I may have misunderstood  their extension info as my funds were credited last November and I didn't use for new tickets as both planned weddings were cancelled due to Covid, and our Hawaii vacation is still on hold until things settle a bit over in Hawaii. Not sure I fell into that extension category.

I guess it's good that I'm only out $82.00 but it's the principle of it - my non-usage was 100% Covid related but no luck getting Southwest to cooperate.

Maybe they'll see the light and reconsider but I'm not holding my breath.

dfwskier
Top Contributor

Southwest is burning $12 MILLION in cash a day (September #) due to COVID. It lost  $1.2 BILLION  in the third quarter due to COVID. Other airlines did even worse.

It will lose money this year for the first time in it's history and it will lose A LOT of money.

No airline is refunding fares that the respective contracts of carriage do not require. Southwest did more than every other airline when it allowed customers a way to extend travel fund expiration dates to 9/7/22. It gave customers over 3 months to do it.

I guess you missed it.

Cathypod
New Arrival

I'm in sand boat as you, mine expire 12/02/20, only 84.00 but were tied to a flight that was during early Covid and things haven't changed enough for people to feel comfortable again.   I can't even imagine how much SW is keeping in all of our travel funds due to people not wanting to risk flying during covid.  Why they can't just turn these into points for flights scheduled is beyond me.  It's better PR than what they are doing by keeping all these funds.  Maybe someone will start a class action suit... 

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

@Cathypod wrote:

I'm in sand boat as you, mine expire 12/02/20, only 84.00 but were tied to a flight that was during early Covid and things haven't changed enough for people to feel comfortable again.   I can't even imagine how much SW is keeping in all of our travel funds due to people not wanting to risk flying during covid.  Why they can't just turn these into points for flights scheduled is beyond me.  It's better PR than what they are doing by keeping all these funds.  Maybe someone will start a class action suit... 

Southwest did offer the ability to extend travel fund expiration and the ability to convert travel funds to points, you just missed the deadlines to do so. Mentioning suing makes you sound ridiculous when you are talking about non-refundable fares and since Southwest did offer everything you are asking for. 

--TheMiddleSeat

sharonrose
New Arrival

YES!  A class action suit would be a great idea.  Honest, ethical people didn't try to find dishonest workarounds to hang on to their travel funds.  They trusted that Southwest would do the honest and ethical thing.  I understand that airlines are losing money -- but Southwest received MILLIONS in government bailouts- that OUR taxpayer money.  And they want to keep individual travelers money as well.  That is corporate greed of the worst kind.  I think the people on here are Southwest employee shills trying to blunt the egregious actions of Southwest by saying SOME people found out a trick to extend their funds.  I didn't try any tricks -- just relied on the presumed decency of Southwest to do the right thing.  Or arrogant people who are saying -- hey I figured out a way to cheat the system to bad for you that you are honest.  Why would I book a new flight when I KNEW I couldn't fly?  I'm nearly 70 years old and a widow and Southwest wants me to believe they desperately need my money to stay afloat.  This is really appalling.

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@sharonrose wrote:

YES!  A class action suit would be a great idea.   

Try that if you will, but you will lose. You see you agreed to a contract when you bought your tickets. You agreed to the terms of the contract. two of the terms are;

1) Non refundable tickets are NON REFUNDABLE - no exception unless Southwest either cancels your flight or changes it

2) If  a traveler cancels a non refundable ticket, then a travel fund is issued and that fund expires one year from the date of ticket purchase.

It's all in writing and you did agree to it when you bought your ticket. You could have bought a refundable ticket instead. You chose not to.

Nonetheless , Southwest offered the best deal in the industry by letting travelers extend travel funds til 9/7/22. I'm sorry you did not take advantage of that.

See my other response to you for a way for you to be able to use a significant part of your ticket purchase in the future.