Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Canceled Flight - Non-Refundable - Now What?

alehnick
Explorer C

I rarely fly so this is all totally foreign to me. I received a text that my flight for 3/22 was canceled. It instructed me to go to the re-book page. I don't want to re-book at this point. I spoke with a Customer Service Representative who basically told me this is being treated as a weather issue and no refunds were being issued. I asked why the flights on either side of mine were still in the available flights for new reservations. She said it was probably because mine had the fewest passengers.

I explained that, because I rarely fly, Travel Funds are pretty useless to me. She said I could speak with Customer Relations on Monday, but I will lose the travel funds if I don't cancel the entire trip or have her cancel just the departing flight. 

I paid $644 for my round trip from Austin to Baltimore. I can get flights on the same days now for $200 plus taxes and fees. If I change the departing flight because of their cancellation to one that is less, do I get a refund of the difference in cost or just Travel Funds?

I'm not planning to go on the trip anymore but was waiting to see if the flights were canceled (one down, one to go). I'm not really sure what to do but would like to get a refund. I've read their Contract of Carriage and don't understand how even treating this like a "weather event" I'm not due a refund since I clearly requested one to her.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Canceled Flight - Non-Refundable - Now What?

bec102896
Aviator A

If the airline cancelled your flight you should be able to get a refund. I would reach out to Southwest on Twitter or Facebook and hopefully they can assist you. I would just say something like this: my fight was cancelled and the new flight doesn't work for me can you help with processing a refund? 

-Blake 

alehnick
Explorer C

I reached out on Twitter. This was their reply:

Hey Anne. We're sorry that your flight was canceled and for any disappointment with our ticketing policies. Our genuine hope is that you will be able to use the travel funds in the future. We appreciate your understanding and hope to renew your faith in our services. -Dee

Also, 4.5 hours after the cancellation text, I received a "we've rebooked you" text.

😕

SWDigits
Aviator A

@alehnick this is troubling as it indicates a potential unannounced change.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@alehnick wrote:

Hey Anne. We're sorry that your flight was canceled and for any disappointment with our ticketing policies. Our genuine hope is that you will be able to use the travel funds in the future. We appreciate your understanding and hope to renew your faith in our services. -Dee

Also, 4.5 hours after the cancellation text, I received a "we've rebooked you" text.

😕

Several points here

1) You have the right to refuse the flight you were rebooked on

2) Whenever an airline cancels a flight, passengers on that flight can demand a refund

I'd recommend that you send an e-mail to SW (print a screenshot for your records)

demanding a refund. Click on "contact us" below to learn how to send the e-mail.

alehnick
Explorer C

I sent this via "Contact Us":

"My original flight was canceled by Southwest. I called twice and requested a refund for the departure flight and was told no. The flight was rebooked 4.5 hours later via text. This flight is not acceptable for me. I am again requesting a refund for this flight. Thank you."

I will have to cancel by this evening if they don't cancel the re-booked flight, but hopefully all of my efforts will mean something when I can finally reach out to Customer Relations and repeat my story on Monday.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@alehnick wrote:

I sent this via "Contact Us":

"My original flight was canceled by Southwest. I called twice and requested a refund for the departure flight and was told no. The flight was rebooked 4.5 hours later via text. This flight is not acceptable for me. I am again requesting a refund for this flight. Thank you."

I will have to cancel by this evening if they don't cancel the re-booked flight, but hopefully all of my efforts will mean something when I can finally reach out to Customer Relations and repeat my story on Monday.

Was this a Wanna Get Away fare, and did you use travel funds to book it originally or was it cash/credit for the whole fare?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

alehnick
Explorer C

@DancingDavidE It was a Wanna Get Away flight paid for on my personal credit card - no Travel Funds used.

I went ahead and canceled the entire trip. I would have had to call them again to get only the departure flight canceled and I wasn't willing to spend that long on hold for a third time. Either something will come of my email and call on Monday or it won't.

Thanks to all for your assistance!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Please come back and let us know how it works out for you.

Previous to the coronavirus situation, anytime Southwest cancelled a flight,  regardless of the reason, you were due a refund upon request, according to the terms of their Contract of Carriage.

We are however in new and uncharted territory. And reports are that many people in situations such as yours are being denied refunds.

It's possible that this is simply because of customer service confusion over frequently changing directives. It is also possible however that Southwest has made a policy change that no longer allows refunds. Unfortunately, it's unclear even to us here, frequent posters on this forum, exactly what's happening. This is a period of much confusion and frequent changes.

Hopefully, everyone will know more soon.

Good luck!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@alehnick wrote:

😕

Several points here

1) You have the right to refuse the flight you were rebooked on

2) Whenever an airline cancels a flight, passengers on that flight can demand a refund

I'd recommend that you send an e-mail to SW (print a screenshot for your records)

demanding a refund. Click on "contact us" below to learn how to send the e-mail.

Based on many reports I'm seeing (check out Southwest's Facebook page and Twitter feed, in addition to the many posts here) it appears that at a minimum there is some confusion regarding the availability of refunds at this point. Sadly, it is possible that what you stated is simply no longer true. 

If so, that change would be distressing, but perhaps not unexpected given the seriousness of the current situation, as it relates to the financial stability of Southwest.

Hopefully we'll get some clarification soon.