Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancellation Refunds

AnnaSF
Explorer C

I made a reservation for my 81 year old father, (who rarely travels) to be with my brother for his surgery scheduled on the 18th of March. Due to the Covid-ID 19 becoming a pandemic then a National Emergency his doctor recommended he not travel as he is diabetic and has other underlying health issues which I will not mention for his privacy. So I requested a refund and was sent an email stating that only the ticketed person can use the travel funds. I am a Rapid Rewards member and was always under the impression that if you canceled up to 24 hours prior to flying that you could get your full refund. All the TV ads lead us to believe this yet, I am reading that only he can use the travel funds. Heck, I understand the airlines losing big but, even if I don't get a refund then at least let me convert the paid ticket to Rapid Reward points so I can use at a later date as I am always flying Southwest.

Am I being unreasonable here given the current situation we as a Nation are all in together on?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Cancellation Refunds

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I understand you would prefer a cash refund, but hopefully someone explained how travel funds work and your father is able to use it soon. 

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

Southwest's policy is that the travel fund will be held under the originally ticketed passenger and those funds are non transferable. 

You might be able to submit a note/letter from his doctor explaining he can't travel and southwest might be able to consider a refund but that would be up to southwest. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

You might be able to submit a note/letter from his doctor explaining he can't travel and southwest might be able to consider a refund but that would be up to southwest. 

I agree with that suggestion. Then contact SW customer Relations

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

Don't forget to cancel the flight. If you don't, you'll get nothing If you haven't already cancelled, I'd wait. You have until 10 minutes before departure time, to get a travel fund.  personally would not wait that long.

Why wait? Because if SW cancels the flight, you are automatically eligible for a refund. Lots of airlines have announced plans to cancel lots of flight . I don't k know if SW has.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@AnnaSF are you within the 24-hour purchase window?  If so then you are entitled to a cash refund.  If not then see the previous replies.

Customer | Home airport DCA

jackie6987
Explorer C

These are such crazy times, I don't understand why SW isn't being flexible like other airlines!!!!  At least let us use funds for others!!!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jackie6987 Do you realize the other airlines "flexibility" is just doing what Southwest does everyday? Would you prefer Southwest to have the same horrible everyday policies as other airlines just so they can pretend to be super friendly and nice during an emergency?

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A

It's fascinating to me because comments on news articles about other airlines people are furious about other airlines' policies too.  Basically what I'm observing is that people are mad at airline X because they feel like the airline X policy, whatever it is, isn't a flat out cash refund.

My *personal* observation as another airline customer on Southwest and others.

Customer | Home airport DCA

bec102896
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:

It's fascinating to me because comments on news articles about other airlines people are furious about other airlines' policies too.  Basically what I'm observing is that people are mad at airline X because they feel like the airline X policy, whatever it is, isn't a flat out cash refund.

What fascinates me is all the people saying all never fly airline X because of how they are handling this. Or I'll never fly them because it took this long to get though to someone. 

I do wonder how many will stick to what they say and how many people will switch airlines (or hotel chains for that matter) once this is all over. With elite members I feel the how each airline/hotel chain handles qualifying for status will determine where loyalty will go for next year. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@SWDigits wrote:

What fascinates me is all the people saying all never fly airline X because of how they are handling this. Or I'll never fly them because it took this long to get though to someone. 

I do wonder how many will stick to what they say and how many people will switch airlines (or hotel chains for that matter) once this is all over. With elite members I feel the how each airline/hotel chain handles qualifying for status will determine where loyalty will go for next year. 

I generally roll my eyes at any "I will never fly x airline again!" comments. I know the statements are made in anger, and perhaps even from a legitimate place. But while it's possible perhaps to never shop at the same grocery store again, or never buy the same brand of a particular product again, most of us do not have a wide range of carriers to select from for our travel needs. And even for those that do, people who have flown only Southwest are likely to be very surprised when they encounter the policies of other carriers. 

That said, I do suspect that with all the customer anger out there right now Airlines including Southwest will have to make some accommodations to customers impacted by this situation. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an extension of ticket/travel fund expiration dates.

Or, I could be completely wrong and the financial hit carriers are taking becomes so large that it precludes any sort of customer accommodations beyond published policy. 

I guess we'll see. Crazy, crazy times.