Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled Flight Funds

CarolG
Explorer C

On July 14, 2016, I had to cancel my reservations to Virginia.  I have a credit that needs to be used by July 14, 2017.  I need to make reservations for a flight to Arizona Aug. 1.  I just called customer service and was told that I can't use the credit for August, but if I call July 15, I can get a voucher to be used at another time.  It doesn't make sense to me to have to wait until July 15 (when my credit expires) to make reservations just two weeks away, when I'd be honored a voucher anyway.  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Cancelled Flight Funds

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Hopefully they also mentioned the $100 fee to have expired travel funds reissued as a voucher?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @CarolG

Customers have one full year from the date of purchase to use their travel credit, and we encourage our Customers to take full advantage of our friendly policy. As an exception, we are sometimes able to offer Customers a little more time to use a portion of the amount that was available at the time of expiration. 

The best option is to apply the travel funds in full to a trip that occurs before the funds expire.

CarolG
Explorer C

Hi Lindsey,

Thank you for your reply.  My credit expires July 14, 2017.  I am simply asking to use that credit just two weeks later.  I need to fly to Arizona on August 1 and could really use that credit to help pay for the flight.  

My granddaughter and I were on Flight #4182 on February 16, 2017 when the two planes clipped wings at the Phoenix AZ airport.  I received a $100 voucher that doesn't nearly compensate the inconvenience we incurred because of that incident.

I would be extremely greatly if Southwest would extend that credit just for a few weeks.

My Account # is 20539754900.  Telephone:  207-330-0352.  Thank you!  ~~ Carol

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You mention two completely different things.

1) Southwest doesn't extend the expiration dates of travel funds. Ever. Reissue as a voucher (with the associated fee) is your only real option, short of using the funds before they expire (since you now travel frequently).

2) If you feel the compensation you received for the February incident is inadequate, you should contact Customer Relations.

Good luck.