Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled Flight per Dr's orders to quarantine & got no refund, flight was cancelled due to weather

MsMac2007
Explorer C

I had to book an unexpected flight to help a family member after a double transplant, it was not in my budget and a financial hardship but necessary, I saw my Dr. the day before my flight and was told to quarantine and Not to fly, I did what I thought was the responsible thing and cancelled the flight never dreaming with those circumstances they would not refund the ticket amount, and the flight was cancelled by SW the next morning due to weather so I guess I should have taken a chance and waited until the next day and would have gotten my money back however I thought at that time it was giving someone else the opportunity to purchase the seat and being responsible. I will not be able to use the credit that is just sitting there and as of today when my husband returned from caring for the family member for his week we are now waiting for one of his bags to be located. This is not how I ever thought SW would conduct business, I am extremely upset over losing close to $400 that I didn't have to spend on a plane ticket, another family member used her rapid rewards to get my husband to the Mayo clinic to help his sister. It is sad that under all of  these circumstances they are holding my money in an account I will never use and can't transfer to anyone else.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Cancelled Flight per Dr's orders to quarantine & got no refund, flight was cancelled due to

MsMac2007
Explorer C

I left off  "if anyone knows of a way to get my money back I would greatly appreciate the info to do so."

Re: Cancelled Flight per Dr's orders to quarantine & got no refund, flight was cancelled due to

bec102896
Aviator A

Unfortunately once your outside of the 24 hours from when you booked the flight is non refundable unless you book the anytime/Business select fare, Southwest makes a schedule change, or the flight is canceled by Southwest if you cancel before they do then unfortunately all you would get is a credit. 

You could try calling saying the flight was canceled because of weather and see if any exceptions can be made. 

In regards to the delayed bag once the bag is received they can contact customer relations by clicking on the contact us link at the bottom of this page and see if any compensation could be provided. 

-Blake

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Since you were not booked on the flight when it was canceled I don't see how you would be eligible for a refund based on the cancelation. Rough timing, but that's how it goes sometimes. I'd say your best bet is to write a letter begging for some policy exception, but you should realize that you purchased a nonrefundable ticket. 

--TheMiddleSeat

MsMac2007
Explorer C

I do realize what I booked and if it hadn't been for a unscheduled, not in my budget trip, there was no way to afford the the other ones. This trip wasn't planned and there was little time to prepare due to the Mayo Clinic does transplants when the organs become available as there is a short window of time to do so. I understand the policy and know I wont get a refund however I should at least be able to let someone else use the travel funds because I will not be flying anywhere. Thank you for your input.

MsMac2007
Explorer C

Thank you for the information, I will keep trying to talk to someone, I got a no the first call however I will try again when I have 4 hours to sit and be on hold. I would prefer to have my money back in the bank but realize that probably wont happen but to not let anyone but me use the travel funds is not right at all, if they are actually mine than I should have the right to do with them as I choose. 

I already filed a lost bag claim report before leaving the airport yesterday and have had one call and one email so that part is being worked on.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Calling is not the best option for this situation. As mentioned earlier, write a letter. 

--TheMiddleSeat

MsMac2007
Explorer C

Thank you, I wrote a letter and today got a response, my ticket will be refunded due to the many cirumstances causing the cancellation.