Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled trip with companion

TTG
Explorer C

This is after the fact but would still like to know....

My husband booked a flight and I was the companion.  Last minute he had to cancel but we were both already checked in with boarding passes already issued.  Could I have still flown without him? 

I assumed I could not, but am regretting not checking it out before hand.  Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Cancelled trip with companion

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello.

Since your ticket was tied to his reservation number and his paid ticket, my presumption is that your ticket woud have canceled at the same time that your husband canceled the reservation.

If anyone knows different, please feel free to chime in.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@dfwskier is correct.  Per the terms and conditions on SW's site:

If the Member’s ticket is cancelled, the Companion’s ticket will also be cancelled. If the Member changes his/her ticket, the Member must also change the Companion’s ticket to match the Member’s ticket changes or the Companion’s ticket will be cancelled. If the Companion is not traveling with the Member, the Companion will be required to pay for his/her ticket. The Member and the Companion must check in together and, if asked, present the Companion Pass card at the Southwest Airlines' Ticket Counter, Skycap podium, or Departure Gate in order for the Companion to travel. Valid photo identification for both Member and the Companion is required. The Member and the Companion must board with their assigned group(s). 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Additionally, if instead of canceling their flight, the companion pass holder just didn't show up and the companion boarded the flight, the companion would be removed from the flight.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Additionally, if instead of canceling their flight, the companion pass holder just didn't show up and the companion boarded the flight, the companion would be removed from the flight.

--TheMiddleSeat

This must be the main scenario that Southwest is considering when they say the CP ticket passenger cannot fly without the CP holder, otherwise most situations that I can think of would presumably not scan correctly at the gate where the ticket was changed or cancelled...the CP ticket holder wouldn't have a chance to board except in this instance.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TTG wrote:

This is after the fact but would still like to know....

My husband booked a flight and I was the companion.  Last minute he had to cancel but we were both already checked in with boarding passes already issued.  Could I have still flown without him? 

I assumed I could not, but am regretting not checking it out before hand.  Thanks!

Cliff notes version - definitely against the CP terms, and I doubt that your canceled boarding pass would scan at the gate even though you may be physically able to enter the airport. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.