Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelling a flight due to the military

Rschmitt34
Explorer C

I have a question, I understand the policy behind cancelling a  flight and having a year after to use the funds for antoher flight. But what happends when I have to cancel my flights due to a deployment that will go past the due date of the cancelation funds? Is there an exception to policy there? Thank you

Rachel

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Cancelling a flight due to the military

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you've purchased a Military Fare, it's fully refundable. But since these fares are often much more expensive than non-refundable Wanna Get Away fares, I suspect that's not the case.

You could try contacting Customer Relations to see if they'll make an exception for you, but I suspect they'll just repeat the usual fare rules for non-refundable tickets.

Good luck!

nanilave87
Explorer C

Its pretty crappy how southwest is dealing with this. They received a bail out but are being so greedy. So I had purchased tickets with american airlines, united and southwest. All of them where the economy type which are nonrefundible. I sent AA and United an explanation of why I needed to cancel my trip and also attached the FRAGORD were it stated military cannot travel at all. Those 2 airlined refunded my tickets within days. Then I go to southwest to cancel my tickets and they said NO. So I asked if I could transfer the travel ticket to my mom so she can visit me while Im in Maryland and they also said no that only I can use it. Its like they know how to get away with being thieved and it sucks. I usually dont use Southwest and this was going to be my first times but I definitely dont wanna deal with them if thats how they are gonna act. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@nanilave87 wrote:

Its pretty crappy how southwest is dealing with this. They received a bail out but are being so greedy. So I had purchased tickets with american airlines, united and southwest. All of them where the economy type which are nonrefundible. I sent AA and United an explanation of why I needed to cancel my trip and also attached the FRAGORD were it stated military cannot travel at all. Those 2 airlined refunded my tickets within days. Then I go to southwest to cancel my tickets and they said NO. So I asked if I could transfer the travel ticket to my mom so she can visit me while Im in Maryland and they also said no that only I can use it. Its like they know how to get away with being thieved and it sucks. I usually dont use Southwest and this was going to be my first times but I definitely dont wanna deal with them if thats how they are gonna act. 

Well two points here

First Southwest did receive a bailout, and used it to continue to pay the salaries of tens of thousands of employees who otherwise would have been laid off. That hardly makes Southwest greedy.

Second, Southwest announced that people will be allowed to convert travel funds into Rapid Rewards points. You would be able to buy your mom a ticket with those points. Southwest has yet to announce how to do that, but I expect to hear something in the net 3-4 weeks.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@Rschmitt34 Thank you for your service.

As has been said, I do believe the best course of action here would be to first contact SW with an explanation of your situation. The social media channels work well.

If that does not work, you should definitely convert the funds to points so that they can be used or others or yourself at a later time.

-A List, Companion Pass holder