Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelling flights

a_toro16
Explorer C

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a flight and don't remember getting the option to have insurance on the tickets, If I were to cancel the flight over a month in advance would I receive a full refund for my flight ? Thanks in advance.

-A

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Cancelling flights

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello.

The reason you did not receive an option to add travel insurance is because Southwest does not sell travel insurance.

To answer your question, you can cancel your flight up to 10 minutes before schedule departure and receive a refund OF A REFUNDABLE FARE TICKET.

iF YOU BOUGHT A WANNA GET AWAY FARE, the ticket is non refundable, but if you cancel, the airline makes the full value of the ticket available to you for future travel on the airline. Note such travel funds must be used for travel completed no later than the date you BOUGHT the original ticket, and travel is restricted to the person whose name was on the original ticket.

bec102896
Aviator A

If you bought the wanna get away fare those funds are non refundable and non transferable but you can reuse the funds to buy a new ticket within a year of original purchase date and only the traveler on the original reservation can use those funds 

if you bought the anytime or business select ticket you can get a refund as long as you have not made any changes to the flight. If you need to change its best to cancel get a refund and rebook if you booked one of these tickets. 

you can change or cancel as many times as you would like though for free (fare difference may apply) until the expiration date 

hope this helps

Blake 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

One minor addition to these two great replies is that travel funds from canceling a Wanna Get Away fare can be used towards future travel, but that travel must be completed within one year of the date that you made the original purchase. If you bought your ticket March 1, 2018 you must complete any travel you want to make with those funds before March 1, 2019.

--TheMiddleSeat