Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cant change flight due to not the name on orginal ticket

S3VENo7
Explorer C

So let me get this strait, I payed for the tickets, it was under my RR account and even though I had canceled before SIP took affect nation wide but would have fell in the first couple weeks of shelter in place.  I find out that the women In flying out here is a hooker and married and I cancel flight.  Never seeing that only the person on original ticket can get a new ticket. I dont want a refund.  I just want to be able to take a trip with my $342.  You all need to please figure something better out.  Maybe only the ticket buyer can get a new ticket.  Someone help please if they know any way to get me my credit thats owed

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Cant change flight due to not the name on orginal ticket

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry to hear of your situation. Unfortunately once you buy a non refundable ticket and the 24 hour risk free cancellation has passed there is nothing that can really be done. Even if you were to cancel the flight of this other persons the travel funds would be in there name and only they can use them. You could try Contacting customer Relations to see if anything can be done but I'm afraid nothing can be done. 

-Blake

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@S3VENo7 wrote:

So let me get this strait, I payed for the tickets, it was under my RR account and even though I had canceled before SIP took affect nation wide but would have fell in the first couple weeks of shelter in place.  I find out that the women In flying out here is a hooker and married and I cancel flight.  Never seeing that only the person on original ticket can get a new ticket. I dont want a refund.  I just want to be able to take a trip with my $342.  You all need to please figure something better out.  Maybe only the ticket buyer can get a new ticket.  Someone help please if they know any way to get me my credit thats owed

Airline tickets are non-transferable. Meaning the person named on the ticket is the only person that can fly on it, including any resultant travel funds. That's just how airline travel works.

If the person named on the ticket has a Rapid Rewards account, and their travel funds have a September 7, 2022 expiration date (meaning the flight was canceled during the March 1, 2020 - September 7, 2020 accommodation period) they are eligible to convert the travel funds to Rapid Rewards points, which then could be used to purchase flights for anyone. 

Your only other option would be to reach out to Southwest after the funds expire and request reissue as a voucher. If approved, the fee is $100 which will be deducted from the travel funds balance.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sorry the situation didn't work out quite like you desired.  I'm interested in hearing the background story that led to you buying a ticket for a hooker.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Sorry the situation didn't work out quite like you desired.  I'm interested in hearing the background story that led to you buying a ticket for a hooker.

I was going to say "you lost me in the middle there" - but if I'm understanding the post the person you bought the ticket for may or may not have their own Rapid Reward account and the flight is currently canceled and sitting as travel funds.

As the other posters mentioned if the flight falls into the correct window of time then there is a possibility to convert the travel funds to points (In their name) and then use the points to book for yourself. This would be easier if the person didn't have their own RR account and this was all controlled by yourself.

Don't transfer the points to your own account - that incurs a transfer penalty - just book yourself from the points directly.

So action step 1 - verify that the travel funds are still there (the person could have used them at any time since they are in their name and tied to their ID and birthday, even without a Rapid Rewards account) and what the expiration date is and come back and we may be able to provide more specific advice.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

The way to check on the status of the funds is to input the passenger name nd confirmation number on the following pge That will tell you

1) Whether or not the funds are still out there

2) How many $ are unused

3) The expiration date of the travel funds

https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html