Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Car Rental through Southwest.com

ludwig
Explorer C

Just wanted to add to the stock of experiences in the hopes that I can help someone avoid the unpleasant experience I had with one of the car rental companies you can make reservations with through Southwest.com, namely, Payless Car Rental.  

I like the convenience of booking a rental car through the Southwest site and I chose Payless for my trip because it was the cheapest rate for the three days I would be in Tampa.   

Two things you should know about though:

1) First, the location for Payless is not at the Tampa airport but off site and you have to take a shuttle to get there.  There is no indication that this is so when making a reservation.

2) Payless added an optional service to my contract that I did not request and then charged me for it.  This was an extra $21.  I have found quite a few online complaints about Payless adding services that have not been requested.  I have requested a refund.

I would not myself ever rent a car from Payless again, and if you do, I can only urge you to be very careful that you are not being overcharged, and to realize that the location might not be at the airport.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Car Rental through Southwest.com

bec102896
Aviator A

Hi there

we have found ourselves very lucky with Payless until the most recent trip where they charged us a strange fee as well that was in Austin TX apparently it's a new charge that other company's are apart of I am not sure if it worldwide though or just Texas but I recommend you write in to Payless on their website and they might be able to help you and explain better the charge(s)

i do know that if you put your rapid rewards number on the car reservation all company's charge you a fee to get the points depending on length or rental and location that fee varies.

sorry you had had a bad experience I use alamo most all the time now and have not had any problems with them so I would suggest you give them a try in the future.

happy travels!

Blake

bnabill
Explorer C

I had the same experience with Payless in Orlando the first week of December 2016.  They added an unnamed optional charge to my Agreement without my knowledge or verbal consent.  I did not notice when I signed the rental Agreement.  I only discovered it when I returned the car and got the final invoice that was $42 too high.  I was told at the rental counter I would have to go through corporate for an adjustment.  I got blown off by Payless corporate for a refund since I signed the Agreement.  I believe Payless is unethical and will never rent from them again.  Buyer beware!

jeepoholic
Explorer C

I had a way worse experience here in Houston at Hobby Airport. When I got to the curb, the bus was almost full and I had a few calls to make, so I figured I would get the next bus to come around. I finished up on my phone and waited, and waited, and waited. I called the local number listed for the rental car office after 30 minutes of waiting. I was told that they were on the way. 15 minutes later I called back, no answer, tried 3 times, no answer. Called southwest and asked them to intervene. Was told I could get another company for about double the price of what I was paying. Hung up and called the local office again, no answer. Called the Payless customer service number and asked them to intervene. I was told by the CSR that bus was 5 minutes away. Asked him to stay on the line for 5 minutes until it arrived. He would not. Eventually, after I tried to keep him on the line until the bus arrived, he hung up. About 5 minutes after this, the bus came. Upon arrival to the office, it was a S@#T Hole gravel parking lot, cars all over in no order, employees flipping through piles of keys looking for a car for the customers at the counter. I was here for an additional 40 minutes to get my car. All total, 2 hours to rent a car.
Today I returned the car $6 more than the Southwest quote. The guy at the counter had no idea why and said that this is the total with no explanation when I showed him the quote.