Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry On Bag Recommendations

bbland
Adventurer C

I'm trying to find a suitcase that fits within Southwest's slightly larger carry on limit.  They allow 24x16x10.  Has anyone had luck finding one that fits?  Everything I find is the standard 20" that most airlines allow or a 24" that is actually bigger in overall dimensions.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Carry On Bag Recommendations

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Any of the standard 20 or 22 inch carry on bags will work. Are you insisting on finding a 24"?

--TheMiddleSeat

bbland
Adventurer C

I'm trying to find the max size I can carry on that is within the limits.  Most 24 inch bags are actually bigger with wheels.  I have a standard size bag and have seen so many people with huge bags.  Never realized Southwest actually has a larger carry on size limit than most airlines.  I don't want to be abusive and have a bigger bag, but would like to find one that is right at the limit.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'll pass along a comment I saw in an article about carryon bags.  It may not be wise to buy the maximum allowed size for one airline.  What happens when you want/need to fly another airline?  Now your bag is too big.

--TheMiddleSeat

bbland
Adventurer C

I've got plenty of standard size bags.  But, since I fly Southwest primarily and work travel is starting again, I wanted to get one for Southwest that allows me to fit in a few more things.  I love that they have a slightly larger size allowance.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I have a travel pro that I love, I just got it as a gift and it’s amazing. I’m on a flight right now with it so I’ll have to remember to come back with the details and a link but here are a few of the key points:

• I know it’s big because it does not fit perpendicularly in the overhead bin at the front of this 737-700 that I’m on right now. It’s all good in the middle of the plane and on 800’s/Max. I think it might go under a middle seat but haven’t tried it.
  • has a pocket for a battery with a cord to the back to charge USB-A
  • warranty was outstanding.
  • Spinner type and the wheels have some sort of gyroscopic action that keeps it running straight.
  • comes with a garment bag inside that you can remove if you don’t need it.
  • wasn't cheap by any means but isn’t ridiculous like a designer style…looks nice but is durable, good for business.
  • the outer pocket could serve as a laptop sleeve although I would usually have my laptop bag with me too.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

Just get the smaller one.   The 24" I presume is the annoying culprit that people refuse to check (for free) but then has to go sideways in the overhead.   One women the other day said "Wow, it usually fits as long as I'm not in the first few rows"... so even an apparently seasoned flyer had an issue with one. 

And there's always the underseat  ones which are even more flexible.   

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Hah! I did get the 21" one I think it was this one, my wife caught a sale. I'd keep an eye on this one for next Friday and Cyber Monday:

https://travelpro.com/collections/carry-on-luggage/products/platinum%C2%AE-elite-21-expandable-carry...

I'm sure the 24" fits great in 737-800 and -700's towards the middle but I love this one, even though it's 21" size.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

I also have the one that DancingDavidE has.

I love it!  I can easily fit 2 pairs of shoes, 5 mid-season outfits, and a set of workout clothes in it, plus toiletries.  When I need to pack a jacket, it expands to fit it.  I carry my laptop in a tote that goes under the seat in front of me.

I would really consider the smaller size for reasons already mentioned upstream.