Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry-on luggage

Carljos5701
Explorer C

The website states that a bag and a personal item count as carry on luggage. Would a backpack and a trumpet (in its case) count as carry on?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Carry-on luggage

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Hi 

Yes.  Two items

If your musical instrument (including case or covering) exceeds the sizing requirements for carryon items (10"x16"x24"), it can be carried onboard if it will fit in an overhead bin or under a seat onboard the aircraft and there is space available when you board the aircraft for the instrument.

jimbain
Explorer C

As a frequent A list flyer I get to board early and watch other passengers board with too big or too many carry-on pieces. My concern is oversized things like guitars in cases which can sometimes take up an entire overhead bin. My question is why doesn't the gate agent who takes you ticket or the flight attendant as you board the plane take the offending piece and insist it be gate checked? It doesn't seen anyone is enforcing your policies.

Pandcstarr
Explorer C

Ok I just want to say that your baggage is far more offensive to me than a musician wanting to keep their instrument with them. Checking an instrument means allowing the baggage carriers to handle (often times Mis-Handle something that in many cases just can't be replaced). Open your heart and mind next time you see a musician carry on their treasure. Maybe even offer to hold the overhead compartment for them. It might surprise you to see how much that would be appreciated.

saddleboogie
Explorer C

I certainly appeciated being able to bring my tool, guitar, on board from Tampa to Phoenix on June 3d, 2017.  It was in a soft case - would not have survived the baggage hold. No one gave me any looks or trouble, Southwest agents were courteous.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jimbain wrote:

As a frequent A list flyer I get to board early and watch other passengers board with too big or too many carry-on pieces. My concern is oversized things like guitars in cases which can sometimes take up an entire overhead bin. My question is why doesn't the gate agent who takes you ticket or the flight attendant as you board the plane take the offending piece and insist it be gate checked? It doesn't seen anyone is enforcing your policies.

The FAA issued a rule that requires carriers to allow instruments, such as guitars, onboard.

The rule requires that each U.S. carrier subject to this regulation allow a passenger to carry into the cabin and stow a small musical instrument, such as a violin or a guitar, in a suitable baggage compartment, such as the overhead bin or a closet, or under the seats, in accordance with FAA safety regulations and the carrier’s FAA-approved carry-on baggage program. 

Carriers must allow passengers to stow their small musical instruments in an approved stowage area in the cabin if at the time the passenger boards the aircraft such stowage space is available.

J9
Explorer C

I know this answer is way overdue but I was looking up how my son can bring his guitar home  from college and this is the answer I found after coming across your question to SW.

Department of Transportation FAA Modemization and Reform Act of 2012 Sec 403:

This rule requires that carriers must allow a passenger to carry into the cabin and stow a small musical instrument, such as violin or guitar, in a suitable baggage compartment, such as the overhead bin or under the seats in accordance with FAA - approved carry-on baggage program.

j9

Dgkalz
Explorer C

A guitar, violin, cello, etc. would never survive being checked. Most of them are fragile wooden instruments, many of them handmade by skilled luthiers. Unfortunately, baggage handlers are not exactly known for their gentle handling of passenger luggage - including guitars (many, many stories of instruments worth thousands of dollars broken in two by airline baggage handlers and airlines refusing to pay for it). If you’re a touring musician and you play, say Detroit one night, and have to be in Atlanta the next morning to set up for a show, your only choice is to fly with your instrument.   Many touring musicians, from symphonic artists to country, rock and pop, tour up to 200 cities per year, most of them via commercial airlines. I hope that helps explain why you see guitars allowed on planes.  

pavankumark10
Explorer C

Hi,

Do you know if we can carry an insturment(violin) in addition to laptop bag and carry on?

Which would make it 3 items including the instrument.

thanks

PK

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @pavankumark10

Per TSA regulations, carryon items are limited to one bag, plus one small, personal item. You can learn more about our bag policies here and here

Lindsey