Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry-on vs checking stroller and boosters

eam121612
Explorer C

Hello!

I will be flying in January with my twin boys. I will need to take along two backless booster seats, as well as two umbrella strollers. What's the best way to do this? Check the strollers, and bring the boosters as carry-ons? (I know they can't sit on them on the plane). Or should I put the boosters in one of my luggage bags and check them as one of our carry ons as well?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Carry-on vs checking stroller and boosters

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@eam121612,

Quite a trip you are planning.  I suggest that you arrive early.  

you didn’t mention their age but some airlines have restrictions on how many passengers under age 15 can sit in one row (and all airlines say never under age 15 in an emergency row).  

I could not find any info on the SWA website but please confirm with them.  If the lone adult, you probably wouldn’t want them sitting in two different rows (that is, one without you), though you could probably get across the aisle.  I didn’t see anything on a quick search but I once remember a flight attendant explaining that there are only 4 oxygen masks and if someone has to get their own on, then help others, that one adult likely would be challenged with two youngsters in an emergency.  (They measure emergency response in seconds.)

If you had to be in a different row, then if across the aisle, an adult in the opposite row could help.  I realize that the odds are extremely small that an emergency would occur but the FAA and the airlines set their guidelines for the emergencies not the everyday travel.

It it may be another airline that has this rule But I would not want you to be surprised after boarding (when no options).

Safe travels.  I would volunteer to come help you but January is 7 days a week work for me unfortunately.

eam121612
Explorer C

Hi! Thanks for your answer! I think I may have misled you haha we are flying with my mom and her fiance too 😉 not alone thank goodness! Thank you for your offers though! So sweet.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@eam121612 wrote:

Hello!

I will be flying in January with my twin boys. I will need to take along two backless booster seats, as well as two umbrella strollers. What's the best way to do this? Check the strollers, and bring the boosters as carry-ons? (I know they can't sit on them on the plane). Or should I put the boosters in one of my luggage bags and check them as one of our carry ons as well?

Thank you!

You could buy a couple of the Southwest big blue bags and put both umbrella strollers in one, and both boosters in another, or else put the boosters into regular luggage and check them.

Among your group - i saw your later reply that there are several adults and the two kidws - each ticketed person gets two bags. Then if they are lap children you get two extra checked bags for baby gear. Even for older kids you get an extra allowance for strollers and car seats specifically, so these items could be +2 and +2 checked bags for you plus the regular 2 per person. 

I would say pretty common to check them, either at the gate if you'll be using the strollers in the airport or else curbside the whole lot of it for easier navigation at the airport.

Not much reason to carry onto the aircraft unless they are fragile in some way, or valuable - regular checking is I believed reported to be over 99% baggage gets delivered, gate check must be nearly 100% and carryon is obviously up to you, 100% in theory. If fragile then gate check or carry on.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.